Solving Technician and Task Scheduling Problems with an Intelligent Decision Heuristic
This paper proposes a new approach, an intelligent decision (ID) heuristic, to solve a technician and task scheduling problem (TTSP) defined by the ROADEF 2007 challenge. The ID heuristic is unlike other approaches because at each stage the heuristic considers multiple scenarios of team configurations and job assignments. Within the ID heuristic, novel operators have been designed which focus on flexibility in team configurations. Furthermore, outsourcing is a sub-problem of the ROADEF 2007 challenge, so computational experiments have been performed to evaluate various strategies of outsourcing to utilize the ID heuristic. Results obtained using the ID heuristic have been compared against other researchers who have tackled this problem.
KeywordsTechnician and task scheduling problem (TTSP) Intelligent decision (ID) heuristic and outsourcing
This research is sponsored by ServicePower Technologies PLC, a worldwide leader at providing innovative mobile workforce management solutions, in cooperation with MMU and KTP.
- 1.Pillac, V., Guéret, C., Medaglia, A.: On the technician routing and scheduling problem. In: The IX Metaheuristics International Conference, pp. S2–40, Italy (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.The ROADEF 2007 Challenge. http://challenge.roadef.org/2007/
- 4.Dutot, P.F., Laugier, A., Bustos, A.M.: Technicians and interventions scheduling for telecommunications (2007). http://challenge.roadef.org/2007
- 5.Montoya, C., Bellenguez-Morineau, O., Pinson, E., Rivreau, D.: Integrated column generation and lagrangian relaxation approach for the multi-skill project scheduling problem. In: Handbook on Project Management and Scheduling, vol. 1, pp. 565–586. Springer (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Estellon, B., Gardi, F., Nouioua, K.: High-performance local search for task scheduling with human resource allocation. In: Engineering Stochastic Local Search Algorithms. Designing, Implementing and Analyzing Effective Heuristics, pp. 1–15. Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Dongala, S.G.P.: The Problem of Scheduling Technicians and Interventions in a Telecommunications Company (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Korteweg, P.: When to hire the A-team. ROADEF (2007). http://challenge.roadef.org/2007
- 12.Jaskowski, W., Wasik, S.: Efficient Greedy Algorithm with Hill Climbing for Technicians and Interventions Scheduling Problem (2007). http://challenge.roadef.org/2007
- 15.Martí, R., Moreno-Vega, J.M., Duarte, A.: Advanced multi-start methods. In: Handbook of Metaheuristics, pp. 265–281. Springer, Boston (2010)Google Scholar