An Overview of the Mauritian Financial System and Its Economy
The aim of this chapter is to introduce the main features and components which characterize the Mauritian economy and its financial system. The first part of this chapter focuses on the various components which make up the Mauritian financial system. The second part deals with the various features of the Mauritian economy not only descriptively but also under a critical lens of analysis. For instance, it is found that the interest rate spread data posted under the World Bank development indicators are not compatible with the reality of the Mauritian economy or with the data disseminated in the Bank of Mauritius monthly statistical bulletins. In a nutshell, the overall aim of this chapter is to make the readers conversant with the Mauritian economy.
KeywordsInterest Rate Monetary Policy Public Debt Tourist Arrival Interest Rate Spread
- Bank of Mauritius, Annual Reports, various issues.Google Scholar
- Bank of Mauritius, Monthly Statistical Bulletins, various issues.Google Scholar
- Bank of Mauritius Financial Stability Report, 2015.Google Scholar
- Central Statistics Office, Mauritius, database.Google Scholar
- World Bank, World Bank Development Indicators online database.Google Scholar