Space Habitats, Space Colonies and the New Space Economy
- 690 Downloads
Most of our visual images of space habitats and space colonies come from science fiction movies. Perhaps you have seen movie classics that range from the sexy and garish worlds portrayed to us in Barbarella, A Clockwork Orange, and Starship Troopers to the more ethereal and philosophically challenging futures that Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick visualized for us in 2001: A Space Odyssey. These imagined alien worlds were, in quite different ways, all strangely visually compelling and often frightening. But essentially all these worlds were also far removed from a real and actually possible future that could ever exist. The most realistic representation that has recently been provided to us on the big screen is The Martian. This movie at least conveys the magnitude of the struggle to stay alive in a stark and cold Mars environment.
- 1.The First Private Space Habitat Is Here: The Bigelow Expandable Activity Module. http://bigelowaerospace.com/beam/. Last accessed Jan. 7, 2016.
- 2.Douglas Messier, “Private Space Stations Could Be a Reality by 2025,” Space.com, August 25, 2015. http://www.space.com/30359-private-space-stations-reality-2025.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=most-popular. Last accessed Jan. 6, 2016.
- 3.The Bigelow Expandable Activity Module http://bigelowaerospace.com/beam/. Last accessed Jan. 7, 2016.
- 4.The Bigelow Proposed B330 Space Habitat. http://bigelowaerospace.com/b330/. Last access Jan. 7, 2016.
- 5.Joseph N. Pelton, Orbital Debris and Other Space Hazards, (2014). Springer Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Interorbital Systems: http://www.interorbital.com/. Last accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- 7.Daniel White, “Congress Wants NASA to Build a Deep Space Habitat” Dec. 30, 2015. http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/press-clips/press-clips-week-52-53-2015/. Last accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- 8.Doug Messier, “PISCES Embarks on Lunar Concrete Development Project” May 31, 2014. http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/05/31/pisces/#sthash.sbJL9Onq.dpuf. Last accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- 9.3-D Printer for House Construction http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/05/31/pisces/#sthash.u7G1Kw9Z.dpuf.
<SimplePara><Emphasis Type="Bold">Open Access</Emphasis> This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made. </SimplePara> <SimplePara>The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.</SimplePara>