M2M Middleware Based on OpenMTC Platform for Enabling Smart Cities Solution
M2M middleware is needed to avoid silo systems on smart city solutions. The middleware serves as an enabler for the basic process of communication between machines based on the machine type communication. This paper proposes OpenMTC platform as M2M middleware solutions for smart cities. OpenMTC is a platform that communicate data between machine-server-machine without human intervention. Some solutions are implemented on OpenMTC platform such as mobile tracking, early warning of forest fires and water pollutant monitoring systems. The result shows that OpenMTC, empirically, has capability as reliable M2M-Middleware for some smart cities applications.
KeywordsM2M Middleware OpenMTC Smart city
The Authors thank to Research and Public Service Bureau (Direktorat Penelitian dan Pengabdian Masyarakat) of Telkom University for providing and supporting the research financial by Riset Kemitraan scheme and also thank to Unified Communication Lab of Telkom University, and ELKA Lab STEI – ITB those have supported financially and given sources in this study and also thanks to Alief Pascal Taruna, Muh. Adityawan Syah, Putut Andre, Sidik Prabowo and Ricky Henry Rawung who have helped us in implementing the system.
- 1.ETSI TS 102 689 V1.1.2: Machine-to-Machine communications (M2M); M2M service requirements (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.ETSI TS 102 690 v1.1.1: Machine-to-Machine communications (M2M); Functional architecture (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.ETSI TS 102 921 v1.1.1: Machine-to-Machine communications (M2M); mIa, dIa and mId interfaces (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.3GPP: System Improvements for Machine-Type Communications, TR 23.888 V0.5.1., July 2010Google Scholar
- 5.Telecommunications Industry Association. http://www.tiaonline.org/tags/m2m
- 6.OneM2M. http://www.onem2m.org/
- 7.OpenMTC. http://www.open-mtc.org
- 8.Suryani, V., Rizal, A., Herutomo, A., Abdurohman, M., Magedanz, T., Elmangoush, A.: Electrocardiagram monitoring on OpenMTC platform. In: 2013 IEEE 38th Conference on Local Computer Networks Workshops (LCN Workshops), pp. 843–847, 21–24 October 2013Google Scholar
- 9.Abdurohman, M., Herutomo, A., Suryani, V., Elmangoush, A., Magedanz, T.: Mobile tracking system using OpenMTC platform based on event driven method. In: 2013 IEEE 38th Conference on Local Computer Networks Workshops (LCN Workshops), pp. 856–860, 21–24 October 2013Google Scholar
- 10.Elmagoush, A., Coskun, H., Wahle, S., Magedanz, T.: Design aspects for a reference M2M communication platform for smart cities. In: 9th International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, Innovations 2013, Al Ain, UAE, 17–19 March 2013Google Scholar
- 12.Herutomo, A., Abdurohman, M., Suwastika, N.A., Prabowo, S., Wijiutomo, C.W.: Forest fire detection system reliability test using wireless sensor network and OpenMTC communication platform. In: 2015 3rd International Conference on, Information and Communication Technology (ICoICT), pp. 87–91, 27–29 May 2015Google Scholar
- 13.Besari, P.A.L., Abdurohman, M., Rakhmatsyah, A.: Application of M2M to detect the air pollution. In: 2015 3rd International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICoICT), pp. 87–91, 27–29 May 2015Google Scholar