In this chapter several aspects in the design of home energy feedback are discussed along with the presentation of energy feedback design examples. The examples include the Ampul interface that was tested in the SusLab Concept House. Ampul was designed to enable users to maximize the use of available solar energy. A second example referenced is an aquarium metaphor in which plant, water and fish qualities are coupled to energy consumption and climate sensor data, which was developed as a demonstration and thirdly Powercord is described as an interface able to translate energy consumption into auditory sounds.
KeywordsEnergy feedback Energy use
- Chapa, J. (2007). THE ENERGY ORB: Visualize Electricity Consumption! Retrieved September 1 2007, from inhabitat.com.Google Scholar
- Dietz, T, Gardner, G. T., Gilligan, J., Stern, P.C., & Vandenbergh M. P. (2009). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 106(44), 18452–18456 (2009). doi: 10.1073/pnas.0908738106.
- Do, E. Y., & Abdelmohsen, S. (2008). Energy puppet: An ambient awareness interface for home, energy consumption. In 7th International Workshop on Social Intelligence Design, Designing socially aware interactions, SID 08, December 3–5, 2008 Universidad de Puerto Rico, San Juan, PRGoogle Scholar
- Eichhammer, W., Fleiter, T., Schlomann, B., Faberi, S., Fioretto, M., Piccioni, N., et al. (2009). Study on the energy savings potentials in EU member states, candidate countries and EEA countries.Google Scholar
- Ellis, M., & Jolland, N. (2009). Gadgets and gigawatts, policies for energy efficient electronics. Paris: International Energy Agency.Google Scholar
- Horvitz, E. (1999). Principles of mixed-initiative user interfaces. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems (pp. 159–166).Google Scholar
- Keyson, D. V. (2008). The experience of intelligent products in product experience. In Schifferstein & Hekkert (Eds.), Elsevier Science.Google Scholar
- Keyson, D. V., Al Mahmud, A. Romero, N., & Augusto J. C., et al. (Eds.): Living Lab and research on sustainability: Practical approaches on sustainable interaction design. AmI 2013, LNCS 8309, 229–234, 2013. Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2013.Google Scholar
- Savvaki, K. (2015). Sustainability and comfort in the workplace. Master Thesis, Delft University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Sorrell, S. (2007). The rebound effect: An assessment of the evidence for economy-wide energy savings from improved energy efficiency. UK Energy Research Centre.Google Scholar