Software-Defined Networking Controller Placement in Distributed Datacenters
From the previous chapter, one can see that software-defined networking (SDN) can be applied to large-scale distributed datacenter networks for network control and management. When this occurs, a logically centralized and physically distributed control plane is usually required. This type of control plane consists of multiple controllers communicating with one another. The collaboration of these controllers facilitates the maintenance of a global consistent view of the entire network. However, there are many new problems that must be addressed when a distributed control plane is deployed in a large-scale network; in particular, controller placement is one key problem. Controller placement refers to selecting the proper positions of the controllers to further improve the scalability and performance of the distributed control plane. In this chapter, we propose a novel placement metric for deploying multiple controllers that measures the cost when controllers with limited capacity handle request messages from switches. Then, we formulate the optimal controller placement problem as an integer linear program (ILP) and use an effective approximation algorithm to find its solution. We conduct intensive experiments based on many real topologies. Our results demonstrate that our strategy can significantly improve performance over existing strategies in terms of both cost and load balance.
KeywordsActive Controller Control Path Integer Linear Programming Problem Dual Schema Multiple Controller
- 1.ONOS: The Open Network Operating System, http://onosproject.org/.
- 2.Y. Zhang, N. Beheshti and M. Tatipamula. On Resilience of Split-architecture Networks. Proceedings of the 2011 Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM). IEEE, 2011: 1–6.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Heller, R. Sherwood and N. McKeown. The Controller Placement Problem. Proceedings of the 1st ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking. ACM, 2012: 7–12.Google Scholar
- 4.M. F. Bari, A. R. Roy, S. R. Chowdhury, et al. Dynamic Controller Provisioning in Software Defined Networks. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM). IEEE, 2013: 18–25.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Hu, W. Wang, X. Gong, et al. Reliability-aware Controller Placement for Software-Defined Networks. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM). IFIP/IEEE, 2013: 672–675.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Guo and P. Bhattacharya. Controller Placement for Improving Resilience of Software-Defined Networks. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Networking and Distributed Computing (ICNDC). IEEE, 2013: 23–27.Google Scholar
- 7.L. F. Muller, R. R. Oliveira, M. C. Luizelli, et al. Survivor: An Enhanced Controller Placement Strategy for Improving SDN Survivability. Proceedings of the 2014 Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM). IEEE, 2014: 1909–1915.Google Scholar
- 11.Internet2 open science, scholarship and services exchange. http://www.internet2.edu/network/ose/.
- 12.Science and Information Network (SINET). http://www.sinet.ad.jp/.
- 14.N. Handigol, B. Heller, V. Jeyakumar, et al. Reproducible Network Experiments using Container based Emulation. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies. ACM, 2012: 253–264.Google Scholar
- 15.POX Controller. http://www.noxrepo.org/pox/about-pox/.