Versatile Safe-Region Generation Method for Continuous Monitoring of Moving Objects in the Road Network Distance
This paper proposes a fast safe-region generation method for several kinds of vicinity queries including distance range queries, set k nearest neighbor (NN) queries, and ordered kNN queries. When a user is driving a car on a road network, he/she wants to know objects located in a vicinity of the car. However, the result is changing according to the movement of the car, and therefore, the up-to-date result is always expected, and requested to the server. On the other hand, frequent requests for updating results to the server cause heavy loading. To cope with this problem efficiently, the idea of safe-region has been proposed. This paper proposes a fast generation method of the safe-region applicable to several types of vicinity queries. Through experimental evaluations, the proposed algorithm achieves a great performance in terms of processing times, and is one or two orders of magnitude faster than existing algorithms.
KeywordsRoad Network Data Object Road Segment Near Neighbor Range Query
The present study was partially supported by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture (Grant-in-Aid Scientific Research (C) 15K00147).
- 1.Gedik, B., Liu, L.: MobiEyes: distributed processing of continuously moving queries on moving objects in a mobile system. In: Bertino, E., Christodoulakis, S., Plexousakis, D., Christophides, V., Koubarakis, M., Böhm, K. (eds.) EDBT 2004. LNCS, vol. 2992, pp. 67–87. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Mouratidis, K., Yiu, M.L., Papadias, D., Mamoulis, N.: Continuous nearest neighbor monitoring in road networks. In: Proceedings of the 32nd VLDB, pp. 43–54 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Xia, T., Zhang, D.: Continuous reverse nearest neighbor monitoring. In: Proceeding of the 22nd International Conference on Data Engineering, p. 77 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Iwerks, G.S., Samet, H., Smith, K.P.: Maintenance of spatial semijoin queries on moving points. In: Proceedings of VLDB (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, Z., Shen, H.T., Zhou, X., Yu, J.X.: Monitoring path nearest neighbor in road networks. In: SIGMOD 2009, pp. 591–602 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Cheema, M.A., Lin, X., Zhang, W., Mhang, Y.: Influence zone: efficiently processing reverse \(k\) nearest neighbors queries. In: Proceeding ICDE, pp. 577–588 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Papadias, D., Zhang, J., Mamoulis, N., Tao, Y.: Query processing in spatial network databases. In: Proceedings of 29th VLDB, pp. 790–801 (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Cho, H.J., Chung, C.W.: An efficient and scalable approach to CNN queries in a road network. In: Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pp. 805–876 (2005)Google Scholar