A Comprehensive Approach for Security Assessment in Transport
Transport is one of the most important economic sectors in Europe with its infrastructure being essential for the functioning of the entire society. Directive 2008/114/EC outlines the approach Member States are required to follow to identify, designate, and protect European Critical Infrastructures also in the transport sector. The paper illustrates a benchmarking methodology which could be used to assess security in terms of awareness, preparedness and maturity in operators belonging to transport sub-sectors. The final goal is to provide a relevant informative base, taking into consideration sub-sector differences useful to enhance awareness in security in the transport sector.
KeywordsTransport security Security awareness Security preparedness Security maturity Critical infrastructure Benchmarking methodology
- 1.EC, commission staff working document on enhancing supply chain security. SWD, 251 final, 27 February 2006Google Scholar
- 2.EC, commission staff working document on transport security. SWD, 143 final, 31 May 2012Google Scholar
- 3.EC, commission staff working document on a new approach to the European programme for critical infrastructure protection. Making European Critical Infrastructure more Secure, SWD, 318 final, 28 August 2013Google Scholar
- 4.EC, Council Directive (EC) 114/2008 on the identification and designation of European critical infrastructures and the assessment of the need to improve their protection (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Peltier, T.R.: Implementing an information security awareness program, security management practices, pp. 37–49, May/June 2005Google Scholar