Calculation of Cyber Security Index in the Problem of Power System State Estimation Based on SCADA and WAMS Measurements
State estimation is an important procedure providing reliable quality information for control of electric power system (EPS). The paper focuses on the possible consequences of cyber attacks on the state estimation results. To measure the impact of cyber attacks on the state estimation results we introduce an index of cyber security which is determined on the basis of a set of characteristics that define the accuracy of the state estimation results. Since these characteristics are not deterministic the cyber security index is estimated by the method of fuzzy sets. The index of cyber security makes it possible to reveal the most vulnerable facilities in electric power system and develop a strategy for the improvement of their cyber security. The suggested strategy implies the use of PMU measurements coming from WAMS in addition to SCADA measurements.
KeywordsState estimation SCADA PMU Cyber attack Cyber security index Bad data detection Test equation method
The research was done as part of the integration project 01201369131 of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences and supported by grant 4711.2014.8 of Leading Scientific School of the Russian Federation.
- 1.do Coutto Filbo, B.M., do Silva, A.M.L., Falcao, D.M.: Bibliography on power system state estimation (1968–1989). IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 10, 229–240 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Gamm, A.Z., Kolosok, I.N.: Test equations and their use for state estimation of electrical power system. In: Scientific Proceedings of Power, Electrical Engineering of Riga Technical University. RTU, Riga, pp. 99–105 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Sandberg, H., Teixeira, A., Johansson, K.J.: On security indices for state estimation in power network. In: Preprints of the First Workshop on Secure Control System, CPSWEEK 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Kerin, U., Krebs, R., Lerch, E.: Power system application tool for on-line security investigations. Internationaler ETG-Kongress 2013, Germany, Berlin, 05–06 November 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Bogatyrev, L.L., Manusov, V.Z., Sodnomdorzh, D.: Mathematical modeling of power system operating conditions under uncertainty. Publishing House of MSTU, Ulan-Bator, p. 348 (1999) (in Russian)Google Scholar