Detection and Management of Large Scale Disturbances in Power System
- 1k Downloads
Recent blackouts of major power systems (PSs) clearly demonstrate the topicality of the blackout problem when rapid multiple tripping of vital PS elements leads not only to PS collapse but also essentially affects the operation of other critical infrastructures. To prevent such situations special types of automation such as PS splitting and frequency control automation are employed. Taking into account the drawbacks of existing devices the new methods and technical solutions to increase sustainability to such events are discussed.
KeywordsPower systems Automation Load shedding Protection Blackout prevention Power system restoration
Development of this paper has been co-financed by the European Social Fund within the project “Exploration and Solving of Energy Systems’ Strategic Development and Management Technically-Economic Problems”, project agreement No. 2013/0011/1DP/18.104.22.168.0/13/APIA/VIAA/028.
- 1.McCalley, J., et al.: Probabilistic security assessment for power system operations. In: IEEE PES General meeting Proceedings. Task Force on Probabilistic Aspects of Reliability Criteria, vol. 1, pp. 212–220 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE PES CAMS, task force, “Initial review of methods for cascading failure analysis in electric power transmission systems”, IEEE PES General meeting Proceedings, July 2004Google Scholar
- 3.Final Report on the August 14, 2003 Blackout in the United States and Canada. U.S.-Canada Power System Outage Task Force, April 2004. http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/media/docs/final/finalrep_e.htm
- 4.Barkans, J., Zalostiba, D.: Protection Against Blackouts and Self-Restoration of Power Systems. RTU Publishing House, Riga (2009). p. 142Google Scholar
- 7.Antonovs, D., et al.: Protection scheme against out-of-step condition based on synchronized measurments. In: 18th PSCC 2014 Conference Proceedings, Wroclow, Poland, 18–22 August 2014Google Scholar
- 8.Utans, A., et al.: Experimental testing of the quality of relay protection communication channels. In: The 5th International Conference on Electrical and Control Technologies, Lithuania, Kaunas, pp. 253–256, 6–7 May 2010Google Scholar
- 9.Bruno, S., et al.: Load control through smart-metering on distribution networks. In: IEEE Bucharest Power Tech Conference, Bucharest, Romania, 29 June - 2 July 2009Google Scholar
- 10.Lemmen, H.: “SMART Transmission System” presentation. In: IEEE Smart Grid World Forum, Brussels, Belgium, 2–3 December 2010Google Scholar
- 11.Berkovich, M., Gladishev, V.: Power System’s automation, Energoatomizdat (1991) (in Russian)Google Scholar