SDN-Enabled C-RAN? An Intelligent Radio Access Network Architecture
With the development of wireless access technology and mobile internet, the demand of network traffic is growing rapidly. Traditional radio access network can not satisfy the requirement of ever growing capacity. C-RAN (Cloud-Radio Access Network) is a novel radio access network architecture which can support growing users’ needs. In C-RAN architecture, BBUs (Base Band Units) decouple from RRHs (Remote Radio Heads) and are centralized and shared among RRHs in BBU pool. RRHs can be flexibly and densely arranged to increase network capacity. But the deployment of dense network brings great pressure to network management. The current C-RAN architecture can not effectively deal with the changes of network station caused by users’ mobility. The SDN technology can simplify and optimize the network management. Hence we propose a SDN-enabled C-RAN architecture, it can intelligently and dynamically build RAN under the control of SDN controller. And we put forward a use case to briefly describe the working procedure.
KeywordsC-RAN SDN Network management Intelligence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C-RAN The Road Towards Green RAN White Paper version 3.0. China Mobile Research Institute. (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.OpenFlow-Enabled Mobile and Wireless Networks. Open Networking Foundation. (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Liang Liu., Feng Yang, Richard Wang, et al.: Analysis of Handover Performance Improvement in Cloud-RAN Architecture. CHINACOM. (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Aditya Gudipati., Daniel Perry., et al.: SoftRAN: Software Defined Radio Access Network. (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Roberto Riggo., Karina Gomez., et al.: V-Cell: Going Beyond the Cell Abstraction in 5G Mobile Networks. IEEE. (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Alexander Dawson., Mahesh K. Marina., et al.: On the Benefits of RAN Virtualisation in C-RAN Based Mobile Networks. 2014 Third European Workship on Software-Defined Networks. DOI 10.1109. (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Slawomir Kuklinski., Yuhong Li., Khoa Truong Dinh.: Handover Management in SDN-based Mobile Networks. Globecom 2014 Workshop. (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Sakshi Chourasia., Krishna M. Sivalingam.: SDN Based Evolved Packet Core Architecture For Efficient User Mobility Support. IEEE. (2015).Google Scholar
- 9.Jose Costa-Requena.: SDN integration in LTE mobile backhaul networks. IEEE. (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Aleksandra Checko., Anders Christian Juul., et al.: Synchronization Challenges in Packet-basedCloud-RAN Fronthaul for Mobile Network. IEEE. (2015)Google Scholar