Performance Analysis of Distributed Stream Processing Applications Through Colored Petri Nets
- 378 Downloads
Nowadays, a lot of data are produced every second and they need to be processed immediately. Processing such unbounded streams of data is often run in a distributed environment in order to achieve high throughput. The challenge is the ability to predict the performance-related characteristics of such applications. Knowledge of these properties is essential for decisions about the amount of needed computational resources, how the computations should be spread in the distributed environment, etc.
In this paper, we present performance analysis of distributed stream processing applications using Colored Petri Nets (CPNs). We extend our previously proposed model with processing strategies which are used to specify performance effects when multiple tasks are placed on the same resource. We also show a detailed conversion of the whole proposed model to the CPNs. The conversion is validated through simulations of the CPNs which are compared to real streaming applications.
KeywordsStream processing Performance analysis Data stream model Colored Petri Nets
This work was supported by the Czech national research project GBP103/12/G084. The hardware infrastructure was provided by the METACentrum under the programme LM 2010005.
- 1.Apache Storm. https://storm.apache.org/
- 3.Bouillard, A., Phan, L.T., Chakraborty, S.: Lightweight modeling of complex state dependencies in stream processing systems. In: 15th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, RTAS 2009, pp. 195–204. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Chakraborty, S., Phan, L.T., Thiagarajan, P.: Event count automata: a state-based model for stream processing systems. In: 26th IEEE International Real-Time Systems Symposium, RTSS 2005, pp. 87–98. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Chakraborty, S., Thiele, L.: A new task model for streaming applications and its schedulability analysis. In: Proceedings of Design, Automation and Test in Europe, pp. 486–491. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Gottumukkala, R.N., Shepherd, M.D., Sun, T.: Validation and analysis of jdf workflows using colored petri nets, 8 June 2010. US Patent 7,734,492Google Scholar
- 10.Rygielski, P., Kounev, S.: Data center network throughput analysis using queueing petri nets. In: 2014 IEEE 34th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW), pp. 100–105. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar