Introduction and Epidemiology
Oesophageal cancer is the third most common gastrointestinal malignancy worldwide. Over the last 40 years, the UK has seen a rise in prevalence and it is now the 13th most common cancer in adults . It has an incidence of 8,300 new cases each year demonstrating a 2:1 preference for males to females. It is reported that 80 % of new cases are diagnosed in patients over 60 years of age . The distribution of tumour subtype varies according to ethnicity with adenocarcinoma favouring Caucasians and squamous cell carcinomas favouring Asian, South American and African populations . Despite advances in multimodality treatment, oesophageal cancer is still devastatingly aggressive with over 65 % of new cases incurable at time of presentation. The disease maintains a 5-year survival of just 15–20 % .
KeywordsGastric Cancer Oesophageal Cancer Gastric Cardia Oesophageal Adenocarcinoma Main Present Symptom
- 1.Oesophageal Cancer Incidence. URL: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/oesophagus/incidence/uk-oesophageal-cancer-incidence-statistics. 11 June 2014.
- 5.Cheng KK, Sharp L, McKinney PA, et al. A case control study of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in women: a preventable disease. Br J Cancer. 2000;83:127e32.Google Scholar
- 14.Catalano MF, Sivak Jr MV, Rice T, et al. Endosonographic features predictive of lymph node metastasis. Gastrointest Endosc. 1994;40:442e6.Google Scholar
- 15.Vazquez-Sequeiros E, Norton ID, Clain JE, et al. Impact of EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration on lymph node staging in patients with esophageal carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc. 2001;53:751e7.13. Catalano MF, Sivak MV Jr, Rice T, et al. Endosonographic features predictive of lymph node metastasis. Gastrointest Endosc. 1994;40:442e6.Google Scholar
- 16.Bhandari S, Shim CS, Kim JH, et al. Usefulness of three-dimensional, multidetector row CT (virtual gastroscopy and multiplanar reconstruction) in the evaluation of gastric cancer: a comparison with conventional endoscopy, EUS, and histopathology. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004;59:619e26.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Edge S, et al. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York, NY: Springer, 2010, pp 129–35.Google Scholar