Facilities Created for Project Mercury
The original Mercury Control Center (MCC), later called the Mission Control Center, was built in the 1956 to 1958 timeframe. The architects were the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Burns and Roe, Inc., in the role of subcontractors to the Western Electric Corporation (WEC). The builder/contractor was Carlson-Ewell. As an Air Force facility, Pan American’s technical contractor RCA was also involved. There were later additions for the Gemini Program but this section will just concentrate on Mercury. The control center was added to an existing Receiver Building #3 that had a large roof designed for telemetry equipment and a data processing area.