The End of the Space Task Group
When the STG was formed in late 1958 it was administratively under the Goddard Space Flight Center which didn’t yet have a facility and so it was temporarily based at Langley. The Langley people thought that eventually they would move to the new Goddard site at Beltsville/Greenbelt, Maryland. However, it was soon realized that another new center would be required for Project Mercury and later manned space programs. The STG was extremely busy with carrying out its flight schedules and didn’t need the distraction of having to pick a site and make the move. The STG personnel were informed they would ultimately move to some yet to be disclosed location. When the decision finally came in 1961, families had to cope with it; some actually cried, some were eager, some were resigned, some refused to move… but about 750 did.