A Secure and Efficient Method for Scalar Multiplication on Supersingular Elliptic Curves over Binary Fields
We present a secure and efficient scalar multiplication method for supersingular elliptic curves over binary fields based on Montgomery’s ladder algorithm. Our approach uses only the x-coordinate of elliptic curve points to perform scalar multiplication, requires no precomputation and executes the same number of operations over the binary field in every iteration. When applied to projective coordinates, our method is faster than the other typical scalar multiplication methods in practical situations.
KeywordsElliptic curve cryptography Scalar multiplication Supersingular elliptic curves Binary fields Side-channel attacks
- 1.Cohen, H., Frey, G. (eds.): Handbook of Elliptic and Hyperelliptic Curve Cryptography. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Okeya, K., Sakurai, K.: Efficient elliptic curve cryptosystems from a scalar multiplication algorithm with recovery of the \(y\)-coordinate on a montgomery-form elliptic curve. In: Koç, Ç.K., Naccache, D., Paar, C. (eds.) CHES 2001. LNCS, vol. 2162, p. 126. Springer, Heidelberg (2001) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Fischer, W., Giraud, C., Knudsen, E., Seifert, J.: Parallel Scalar Multiplication on General Elliptic Curves over \(F_p\) hedged against Non-Differential Side Channel Attacks. Cryptology ePrint Archive, 2002/007 (2002). http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/fischer02parallel.html
- 6.Saeki, M.: Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems. Master Thesis. McGill University, Montreal (1997) Google Scholar
- 8.Hankerson, D., Menezes, A.J., Vanstone, S.: Guide to Elliptic Curve Cryptography. Springer-Verlag New York Inc., Secaucus (2003) Google Scholar