- 594 Downloads
Nowadays, data converters are considered one of themost relevant blocks in electronics, having a large amount of applications. In the last years, a fast trend in different fields, such as in digital processing and in semiconductor industry, boosted the performance of analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and of digital-to-analog converters (DACs).
In this chapter a concise historical perspective and a brief background related to ADCs is given. The main architectures are referred, emphasizing the operationmode of successive approximation ADCs (SAR-ADCs) and of sigma-delta (\(\Sigma \Delta \)) ADCs, taking into account their current relevance. Additionally, and given the purpose of this book, the usage of thin film technologies in circuits is analyzed, especially when they are applied in ADCs.
KeywordsAnalog-to-digital Converters (ADCs) Successive Approximation ADCs Faster Trend Sigma Delta Low-temperature Polycrystalline Silicon (LTPS)
- 1.C. STAMFORD, Gartner says worldwide semiconductor sales expected to reach $348 billion in 2015, a 2.2 percent increase from 2014, 2015 [Online]. Available http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3089917
- 2.B. Murmann, Adc performance survey 1997–2015 [Online]. Available http://web.stanford.edu/~murmann/adcsurvey.html (visited on 1 Oct 2015)
- 3.T.C. Carusone, D. Johns, K. Martin, Analog Integrated Circuit Design, 2nd ed. (Wiley, 2011). http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002039.html
- 5.J.L.A. De Melo, A low power 1-MHz continuous-time \(\varSigma \varDelta\) M using a passive loop filter designed with a genetic algorithm tool, in Proceedings - IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 1 (2013), pp. 586–589Google Scholar
- 11.D. Raiteri, F. Torricelli, K. Myny, M. Nag, B. Van der Putten, E. Smits, S. Steudel, K. Tempelaars, A. Tripathi, G. Gelinck, A. Van Roermund, E. Cantatore, A 6 b 10 MS/s current-steering DAC manufactured with amorphous gallium-indium-zinc-oxide TFTs achieving SFDR ¿ 30 db up to 300 kHz, in 2012 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (IEEE, New York, 2012), pp. 314–316Google Scholar
- 12.A. Dey, D.R. Allee, IEEE, Amorphous silicon 5 bit flash analog to digital converter, in 2012 IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 2012Google Scholar