Transfer Metric Learning for Kinship Verification with Locality-Constrained Sparse Features
Kinship verification between aged parents and their children based on facial images is a challenging problem, due to aging factor which makes their facial similarities less distinct. In this paper, we propose to perform kinship verification in a transfer learning manner, which introduces photos of parents in their earlier ages as intermediate references to facilitate the verification. Child-young parent pairs are regarded as source domain and child-old parent ones are considered as target domain. The transfer learning scheme contains two phases. In the transfer metric learning phase, the extracted locality-constrained sparse features of images are projected into an optimized subspace where the intra-class distances are minimized and the inter-class ones are maximized. In the transfer classifier learning phase, a cross domain classifier is learned by a transfer SVM algorithm. Experimental results on UB KinFace dataset indicate that our method outperforms state-of-the-art methods.
KeywordsKinship verification Transfer metric learning Cross domain Sparse representation
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61472036).
- 2.Dibeklioglu, H., Salah, A.A., Gevers, T.: Like father, like son: facial expression dynamics for kinship verification. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), pp. 1497–1504. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Fang, R., Gallagher, A., Chen, T., Loui, A.: Kinship classification by modeling facial feature heredity. In: 20th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2983–2987. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Fang, R., Tang, K.D., Snavely, N., Chen, T.: Towards computational models of kinship verification. In: 17th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 1577–1580. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, Y., Dibeklioglu, H., van der Maaten, L.: Graph-based kinship recognition. In: 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2014, pp. 4287–4292. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Quanz, B., Huan, J.: Large margin transductive transfer learning. In: Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 1327–1336. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, J., Yang, J., Yu, K., Lv, F., Huang, T., Gong, Y.: Locality-constrained linear coding for image classification. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), pp. 3360–3367. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Xia, S., Shao, M., Fu, Y.: Kinship verification through transfer learning. In: IJCAI Proceedings-International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, vol. 22, p. 2539 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhou, X., Hu, J., Lu, J., Shang, Y., Guan, Y.: Kinship verification from facial images under uncontrolled conditions. In: Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 953–956. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhou, X., Lu, J., Hu, J., Shang, Y.: Gabor-based gradient orientation pyramid for kinship verification under uncontrolled environments. In: Proceedings of the 20th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 725–728. ACM (2012)Google Scholar