Breakthrough: Deploying Services and Instruments to Help Customers Take Control
- 1.2k Downloads
The focus in healthcare is on saving lives, and the adoption of new technologies and services is often slow since clinical tests and medical proofs are required. Compared to service-oriented businesses with years of experience in cost-cutting, such as in recreation, telephony, logistics, and retail the provision of health is not always superior when it comes to optimum services at minimum costs. There is a lot to learn from other industries to stimulate self-service and improve accessibility. This is shown by Ryhov, BerylHealth, M-PESA and Jaipur Foot.
KeywordsBusiness Model Call Center Private Equity Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative Healthcare Practitioner
- Aberg, E. (2013). Britt Marie Banck blev Arets banbrytare. Retrieved September 13, 2013, from http://www.jnytt.se/britt-marie-banck-blev-arets-banbrytare/.
- Adner, R. (2012). The wide lens—A new strategy for innovation. London: Penguin Business.Google Scholar
- Bisognano, M. (2013). A patient directs his own care—2012 IHI annual report. Retrieved July 7, 2013, from http://www.ihi.org/about/Documents/IHI_AnnualReport_2012.pdf.
- Bisognano, M. (2013). Lessons from yesterday, plans for tomorrow—Fifth annual South Carolina patient safety symposium (IHI). Retrieved September 16, 2013, from http://www.scha.org/files/mbisognano_lessons_from_yesterday.pdf.
- Burlingham, B. (2005). Small giants. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M., & Dann, J. (2001). SonoSite a view inside, HBR Case 9-602-056. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M. (1997). The innovator’s solution: Creating and sustaining successful growth. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M., Grossman, J. H., & Hwang, J. (2009). The innovator’s prescription—A disruptive solution for health care. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Chu, B. K. et al. (2013). Engaging health care users: A framework for healthy individuals and communities, a report of the AHA committee. Retrieved September 13, 2013, from http://www.aha.org/research/cor/content/engaging_health_care_users.pdf.
- Frei, F., & Morriss, A. (2012). Uncommon service – How to win by putting customers at the core of your business. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press.Google Scholar
- Geelhoed, J., & Samhoud, S. (2011). Be useful. The Hague: Academic Service.Google Scholar
- Goldratt, E. M., & Cox, J. (1986), The goal—A process of ongoing improvement (rev edn.). Croton-on-Hudson, NY: North River Press.Google Scholar
- Jaipur Foot. (2013). Plan comparison. Retrieved September 2, 2013, from www.jaipurfoot.org.
- Kanani, R. (2011). Jaipur Foot: One of the most technological advanced social enterprises of the world. Retrieved January 19, 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/rahimkanani/2011/08/08/jaipur-foot-one-of-the-most-technologically-advanced-social-enterprises-in-the-world/.
- Kemperman, J., Geelhoed, J., & op’t Hoog, J. (2013). Briljante businessmodellen—Een bijzondere benadering voor betere business. The Hague: Academic Service.Google Scholar
- Levy, P. (2011). Self dialysis in Sweden—Not running a hospital. Retrieved June 7, 2013, from http://runningahospital.blogspot.nl/2011/08/self-dialysis-in-sweden.html.
- Mack, S., Misra, R., & Sharma, A. (2003). Case study series Jaipur Foot: Challenging convention. Michigan: Michigan Business School.Google Scholar
- Meenu, K. (2009). The Jaipur foot. Cornelia Street Café, Central Coast California, Entertaining Science Blogspot. Google Scholar
- Menon, S., & Kumar, A. (2008). Who invented the Jaipur Foot? Retrieved January 19, 2014, from http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/whoinvented-the-jaipur-foot-108011501095_1.html.
- Newman, M. A. (1999). Health as expanding consciousness. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.Google Scholar
- NHS. (2012). Developing shared self-management for hospital haemodialysis patients. Retrieved September 13, 2013, from http://www.yhscg.nhs.uk/Networks/sharing-haemodialysis-care.htm.
- Patel, P. J. (2011), I choose to fight in my live: Sudha Chandran. The Times of India, at: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-12-09/tv/30491022_1_film-industry-hema-malini-roles.
- Pearson, H. (2012). Liberia, ArcelorMittal Liberia transforms life for amputees. Retrieved January 19, 2014, from http://www.gnnliberia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3519:liberia-arcelormittal-liberia-transforms-life-for-amputees&catid=34:politics&Itemid=54.
- Pomp, M. (2010). Een beter Nederland—De gouden eieren van de gezondheidszorg. Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Balans.Google Scholar
- Prahalad, C. K. (2009). The fortune at the bottom of the pyramid: Eradicating poverty through profits (revised and updated 5th anniversary ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Rhyne, E. (2009). Microfinance for bankers and investors—Understanding the opportunities and challenges of the market at the bottom of the pyramid. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Spiegelman, P. (2007). Why is everyone smiling? Texas: Brown.Google Scholar
- Toresson, M. (2013). Patienterna fixar dialysen själva. In Dagensmedicin. Retrieved September 13, 2013, from http://www.dagensmedicin.se/nyheter/patienterna-fixar-dialysensjalva/.