Network Neutrality Under the Lens of Risk Management
An original approach to Network Neutrality is presented. Violations of Network Neutrality are considered as risk and a risk management framework to deal with such violations is presented. This framework can be used by different parties in varied environments for dealing with preventive as well as reactive action in the face of violations by Internet Service Providers and other infringing parties. The framework includes an identification of the forms of Network Neutrality violations, their weighting by likelihood and impact, and actions for risk avoidance, detection, mitigation, business continuity, contingency planning, and prevention. The actions are shown in a graduated-response order so that scaling up towards the resolution of conflict or controversy around Network Neutrality violations can be properly planned and executed.
KeywordsInternet Protocol Internet Service Provider Competition Authority Port Number Network Neutrality
- Crocker, S., Dagon, D., Kaminsky, D., McPherson, D., & Vixie, P. (2011, May). Security and other technical concerns raised by the DNS filtering requirements in the PROTECT IP Bill. http://www.shinkuro.com/PROTECT%20IP%20Technical%20Whitepaper%20Final.pdf
- Landoll, D. J. (2011). The security risk assessment handbook (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- OFCOM. (2011). OFCOM’s approach to net neutrality. Retrieved from http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/net-neutrality/statement/statement.pdf version of Nov. 24 2011.
- Oren, S. (2001). Market-based risk mitigation: Risk management vs. risk avoidance. http://www.pserc.wisc.edu/ecow/get/publicatio/2001public/marketbasdriskmitigation-v2-oren.pdf
- Potts, M. (Ed.) (2015). SMART 20012/0046, Deliverable D8: Third Experts Workshop Report, Study on European Internet Traffic: Monitoring Tools and Analysis. Retrieved from http://internet-monitoring-study.eu/images/workshop3/Workshop3_report.pdf
- Van Schewick, B. (2010). Internet architecture and innovation. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Wu, T. (2003). Network neutrality, broadband discrimination. Journal of Telecommunications and High Technology Law, 2, 141. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=388863
- Wu, T. (n/d). http://timwu.org/network_neutrality.html