A Comparative Study of Computer Aided System Preoperative Planning for High Tibial Osteotomy
We discuss five softwares commonly used for preoperative planning for high tibial osteotomy, namely MedWeb, TraumaCad, MediCad, Sectra and Photoshop. Each software has their own specialty and specification based on surgeon requirements. Detail of methods for each software is discussed. This paper aims to highlights the strength and weaknesses of the softwares. Our comparison shows that the selection of method to be used depends on the needs of the surgeon. The different software suitability discussed are axis used, users’ control capability, automatic wedge selection, CORA’s point, tibial slope, automatic measurement, and visualize correction. The results obtained from the comparative analysis are expected to aid in development innovative software for preoperative osteotomy planning, based on the strengths of each software discussed.
KeywordsSoftware Preoperative planning Tibial slope Center of rotation of angulation (CORA) Mechanical axis Image dimension Visualize correction
This research project was conducted in collaboration with Associate Prof Dr. Abdul Halim Abdul Rashid from the Department of Orthopedic and Traumatology, Medical Centre of University Kebangsaan Malaysia. This research was also funded by the University Grants UKM-GUP-2015-004.
- 4.De Mauro, A., Mazars, J., Manco, L., Mataj, T., Fernandez, A.H., Cortes, C., De Paolis, L.T.: Intraoperative navigation system for image guided surgery. In: 2012 Sixth International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, Software Intensive Systems, pp. 486–490 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Steinberg E.L., Segev, E.: Pre-operative planning using the TraumaCad software system. US Radiol pp. 87–91 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Voyant Health: Voyant Health, A Brainlab Company (2013). http://www.voyanthealth.com/news_press.jsp
- 8.Pilson, H.T., Reddix, R.N., Jr., Mutty, C.E., Webb, L.X.: The long lost art of preoperative planning—resurrected?. Orthop. 31(12), December 2008Google Scholar
- 10.Salisbury, H., Jain, N.P.M., Knowles, D.: Pre-operative templating of elective total hip replacement using TraumaCad software. J. Bone Jt. Surg. Br. 94(10) (2012). bjjprocs.boneandjoint.org.ukGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gebhard, F., Krettek, C., Hüfner, T., Grützner, P.A., Stöckle, U., Imhoff, A.B., Lorenz, S., Ljungqvist, J., Keppler, P., Messmer, P., Kahler, D.: Reliability of computer-assisted surgery as an intraoperative ruler in navigated high tibial osteotomy. Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 131(3), 297–302 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hectec: MediCad, the orthopedic solution (2013). http://www.hectec.de/content/index.php/us/
- 15.Abdul Rashid, A.H.: Permasalahan Perancangan Prabedah Osteotomi PPUKM (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Abd Hamid, H.: Pengimejan Perubatan bagi Keperluan Perancangan Pembetulan Osteotomi, Kuala Lumpur (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.Dance, D. R.: Digital X-ray imaging. In: Molecular Imaging: Computer Reconstruction and Practice (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Olin M.D., Vail, T.P.: High tibial osteotomy : will new techniques provide better results? pp. 8–12 (2001)Google Scholar
- 23.Tang, Y., Zhu, Y., Chiu, K.: Axial alignment of the lower extremity in Chinese adults. J. Bone Jt. Surg. Am. 82, 1603–1608 (2000)Google Scholar