An Application to Support Sustainability Management in the Cuban Energy Sector
A critical element to the success and survival of organizations is the effective management of information. Sustainability has become a major challenge at all levels in society. Organizations in all sectors are being pressured to address environmental and social responsibility performance in addition to the traditional financial performance. Information technologies can play an important role in sustainability management, specifically the evaluation of sustainability performance. The main purpose of this paper is to present an application that facilitates the management and storage of sustainability indicators that are the basis for assessing the sustainable performance of organizations. The application allows the calculation of a Corporate Index of Sustainability Performance to determine the level of compliance with respect to the direction defined by business sustainability strategies. The functionality includes the generation of different reports. The software application makes use of various technologies and was developed and partially implemented in the electric sector in Villa Clara, Cuba.
KeywordsSustainability Management Corporate Sustainability Sustainability Reporting Sustainability Performance Sustainability Indicator
This work is funded by the Eureka SD project (agreement number 2013-2591), that is supported by the Erasmus Mundus programme of the European Union.
- CITMA (2010) Programa nacional de consumo, producción sostenible y eficiencia en el uso de los recursos 2010–2015. Ministerio de Ciencia, La HabanaGoogle Scholar
- de Cuba PCC (2011) Lineamientos de la Política Económica y Social del Partido y la Revolución. Editora Política, La HabanaGoogle Scholar
- Deloitte & Touche (1992) Business strategy for sustainable development: leadership and accountability for the ’90s. Business Strategy and the Environment. International Institute for Sustainable Development, WinnipegGoogle Scholar
- Freundlieb M, Teuteberg F (2012) Evaluating the quality of web based sustainability reports: a multi-method framework. In: Proceedings of the 45th Hawaii international conference on system science, Maui, Hawaii, 4–7 Jan 2012Google Scholar
- Giesen N, Jürgens P, Marx Gómez J, Omumi H, Rieken M, Stepanyan H, Süpke D (2010) ProPlaNET–Web 2.0 based sustainable project planning. In: Greve K, Cremers AB (eds) EnviroInfo 2010: integration of environmental information in Europe. 24th international conference on informatics for environmental protection in cooperation with InterGeo 2010, Cologne-Bonn, Oct 2010. Shaker, Aachen, pp 436–445Google Scholar
- Hockerts K (2001) Corporate sustainability management—towards controlling corporate ecological and social sustainability. In: Proceedings of 9th international conference of greening of industry network, Bangkok, 21–25 Jan 2001Google Scholar
- Johnson MP (2015) Sustainability management and small and medium-sized enterprises: managers' awareness and implementation of innovative tools. Corp Soc Responsib Environ Manag 22(5):271–285. doi: 10.1002/csr.1343
- Johnson M, Viere T, Schaltegger S, Halberstadt J (2014) Application of software and web-based tools for sustainability management in small and medium-sized enterprises. In: Proceedings of the 28th enviroinfo 2014 conference, Oldenburg, Germany, 10–12 Sept 2014Google Scholar
- Macedo AVP, Queiroz ME (2007) Gerenciando e Otimizando a Sustentabilidade Empresarial através da Ferramenta Balanced Scorecard: Em Busca da Mensuração. In: Congresso Virtual Brasileiro de Administração—CONVIBRA, 7–15 Dec 2007Google Scholar
- Medel-González F, García-Ávila L, Acosta-Beltrán A, Hernández C (2013) Measuring and evaluating business sustainability: development and application of corporate index of sustainability performance. In: Erechtchoukova MG, Khaiter PA, Golinska P (eds) Sustainability appraisal: quantitative methods and mathematical Techniques for environmental performance evaluation. Ecoproduction (Environmental issues in logistics and manufacturing). Springer, Heidelberg, pp 33–61Google Scholar
- Nunamaker JF Jr, Chen M (1990) Systems development in information systems research. In: Proceedings of the 23rd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, 2–5 Jan 1990Google Scholar
- Schaltegger S, Burritt R (2005) Corporate sustainability. In: Folmer H, Tietenberg T (eds) The international yearbook of environmental and resource economics 2005/2006: a survey of current issues. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, pp 185–222Google Scholar