Impact of Road Conditions on the Normal Reaction Forces on the Wheels of a Motor Vehicle Performing a Straightforward Braking Maneuver
In the paper analysis is presented, which concerns the impact of both the road surface condition and the change in a vehicle model center of mass location on the course of the normal reaction forces, acting on the wheels versus the distance travelled during the braking maneuver. The road was flat in one case, and randomly uneven in the other.
Research was based on the simulation of a motor vehicle model in MSC Adams/Car, for two different road conditions, with braking starting from the speed of 100 km/h. Such attempt enabled analysis of the influence of both mass – inertia and road condition on the wheel normal forces. The results may as well serve as a cognitive element, showing the specifics and the range of changes in the derived parameters.
KeywordsNormal reaction forces Brake maneuver Road conditions
- 1.Cebon, D.: Handbook of Vehicle-Road Interaction. Taylor & Francis, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Guiggiani, M.: The Science of Vehicle Dynamics, Handling, Braking and Ride of Road and Race Cars. Springer Science+Business Media, Dordrecht (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Kisilowski, J.: Zalewski, J., On a certain possibility of practical application of stochastic technical stability, Maintenance and Reliability, 1(37)/2008Google Scholar
- 4.Kisilowski, J., Zalewski, J.: Wybrane problemy bezpieczeństwa w ruchu drogowym, Logistyka, 3/2014. (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 5.Pacejka, H.B.: Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis. Taylor & Francis, London (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Prochowski, L.: Mechanika ruchu, Warszawa 2005, WKŁ (2005) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 8.Reński, A., Sar, H.: Wyznaczanie dynamicznych charakterystyk bocznego znoszenia opon na podstawie badań drogowych, Zeszyty Naukowe Instytutu Pojazdów, SIMR, PW, 4(67)/2007. (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 9.Rill, G.: Road Vehicle Dynamics: Fundamentals and Modeling. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Siłka, W.: Teoria Ruchu Samochodu. WNT, Warszawa (2002). (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 11.Using Adams, MSC Software CorporationGoogle Scholar
- 12.Zalewski, J.: Influence of road conditions on the stability of a laden vehicle mathematical model, realising a single lane change maneuver. In: Mikulski, J. (ed.) TST 2014. CCIS, vol. 471, pp. 174–184. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.www.cosin.eu. (Accessed on 22 May 2015)