Hierarchical Hybrid Planning in a Mobile Service Robot
Planning with diverse knowledge, i.e., hybrid planning, is essential for robotic applications. However, powerful heuristics are needed to reason efficiently in the resulting large search spaces. HTN planning provides a means to reduce the search space; furthermore, meta-CSP search has shown promise in hybrid domains, both wrt. search and online plan adaptation. In this paper we combine the two approaches by implementing HTN-style task decomposition as a meta-constraint in a meta-CSP search, resulting in an HTN planner able to handle very rich domain knowledge. The planner produces partial-order plans and if several goal tasks are given, subtasks can be shared, leading to shorter plans. We demonstrate the straightforward integration of different kinds of knowledge for causal, temporal and resource knowledge as well as knowledge provided by an external path planner. The resulting online planner, CHIMP, is integrated in a plan-based robot control system and is demonstrated to physically guide a PR2 robot.
KeywordsRobot planning Hierarchical task networks Cognitive robotics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dvorak, F., Bit-Monnot, A., Ingrand, F., Ghallab, M.: A flexible ANML actor and planner in robotics. In: Proc. of Planning and Robotics Workshop at ICAPS (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Erol, K., Hendler, J., Nau, D.: HTN Planning: complexity and expressivity. In: Proc. AAAI, pp. 1123–1128 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Kaelbling, L.P., Lozano-Pérez, T.: Hierarchical planning in the now. In: IEEE Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Lagriffoul, F., Dimitrov, D., Saffiotti, A., Karlsson, L.: Constraint propagation on interval bounds for dealing with geometric backtracking. In: Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int’l Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Ligozat, G.: A new proof of tractability for ORD-Horn relations. In: AAAI Workshop on Spatial and Temporal Reasoning (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Mansouri, M., Pecora, F.: More knowledge on the table: Planning with space, time and resources for robots. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.de Silva, L., Pandey, A.K., Alami, R.: An interface for interleaved symbolic-geometric planning and backtracking. In: IROS. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, D.E., Cushing, W.: The ANML language. In: Proc. of the Scheduling and Planning Applications Workshop at ICAPS (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Stock, S., Mansouri, M., Pecora, F., Hertzberg, J.: Online task merging with a hierarchical hybrid task planner for mobile service robots. In: Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int’l Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (2015) (in press)Google Scholar