Data Management and Hyperbibliography
- 294 Downloads
This pivotal chapter describes the organization of the entire material of the website in an intricate structure of files and folders. These are basically on two planes: back-end files feeding material to the computer, and front-end files directly accessed by the user. There were also some files of an administrative nature, keeping track of work flow and flow of materials while the project was executed. The chapter begins with the immense task of human management, the vast volume and variety of material, and the way it was acquired, before coming to the actual file management. The file structure also provided the basis for the bibliography. There is a comparison between a traditional print bibliography and an electronic hyperbibliography, and the challenges of marshalling material for the latter from the huge Tagore corpus. The English works provided some special challenges. The entire data retrieval system for Bichitra rests on a raft of 32 spreadsheets, 12 underlying the Browse menu and 20 the Bibliography menu. Intermediate spreadsheets had to be created to generate these 32. The structure of these spreadsheets is described in detail, along with the principle of naming the files and folders. The results are conveyed to the user through an Alphabetical Index and a Full Table; also, for the English works, a Master List. The chapter also gives an account of the Timeline added later to the site.
KeywordsText File Image File Short Piece File Management Musical Drama
- Bagchi, Sanatkumar. 1989. Rabindranather pandulipi: samiksha o bishleshan. Kolkata: Pustak Bipani.Google Scholar
- British Library. Endangered Archives Programme: Guidelines for photographing and scanning archival material. http://eap.bl.uk/downloads/guidelines_copying.pdf . Accessed 12 June 2014.
- Das, Sisir Kumar ed. 1994–2007. The English Writings of Rabindranath Tagore. Vols.1–3. Vol. 4 ed. Nityapriya Ghosh. New Delhi: Sahitya Akademi.Google Scholar
- Fauland, Alex. 1999–2013. Tools and Utilities: A.F.5 Rename your files. http://www.fauland.com/af5_dl.htm. Accessed 22 December 2014.
- Ghosh, Sankha comp. 1408/2001. Guide to publications (Granthaparichay). In Rabindra-rachanabali. Vol.16. Kolkata: Government of West Bengal.Google Scholar
- Joejoe. No date. Joejoe’s Freeware Utilities: Rename Master. http://www.joejoesoft.com/cms/showpage.php?cid=108. Accessed 22 December 2014.
- Majumdar, Swapan. 1395/1988. Rabindra granthasuchi. Vol.1 pt.1. Kolkata: National Library.Google Scholar
- Pal, Prashantakumar. 1389/1982. Rabijibani. Vol. 1. Kolkata: Papyrus. 1391/1984 – /2003. Kolkata: Ananda Publishers.Google Scholar
- Rabindra-rachanabali. 1346/1939– . 32+2 vols. published so far. Kolkata: Visva-Bharati Publishing Division.Google Scholar
- Sen, Pulinbihari. 1416/2009. Pulinbihari: janmashatabarshik shraddharghya (includes various bibliographies compiled by Pulinbihari Sen). Kolkata: Visva-Bharati Publishing Division for Rabindra-Bhavana.Google Scholar
- SNLTR. 2009. Society for Natural Language Technology Research. www.rabindra-rachanabali.nltr.org. Accessed 22 December 2014.
- Tagoreweb. 2010–2012. http://www.tagoreweb.in. Accessed 22 December 2014.