- 288 Downloads
This chapter is divided into three parts. The first suggests some improvements to Bichitra as it stands, like direct access to particular images, synchronization of image and transcript, and provision of more links. The second suggests value additions in the form of new functions like topic modelling and more extensive multimedia components. It also points out the innovation involved in working these functions in non-Latin fonts. The last and longest section, ‘New Directions’, comprises the project director’s suggestions and speculations about using the Bichitra corpus for further development of textual computing generally. In particular, he argues for the special promise held out by large textual corpora in developing more precise ways of analyzing ‘big data’, paying more attention to their detailed contents. To achieve this, he suggests a series of progressively refined investigations of textual data in the light of its context: semantic and syntactical, literal and metaphoric.
KeywordsTopic Modelling Textual Data Digital Humanity Distant Reading Wide Vocabulary
- Das, Dipanjan et al., 2014. Frame-Semantic Parsing. Computational Linguistics 40:1, 10–56. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/COLI_a_00163. Accessed 12 January 2015.
- Docuscope. http://www.cmu.edu/hss/english/research/docuscope.html. Accessed 24 December 2014.
- Dong, Xin Luna et al. 2014. Knowledge Vault: A Web-Scale Approach to Probabilistic Knowledge Fusion. Proceedings on the Conference for Knowledge Discovery and Data-Mining. https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nlao/publication/2014.kdd.pdf. Accessed 12 January 2015.
- Hayles, N. Katherine. 2002. Writing Machines. Cambridge, Mass: MIT.Google Scholar
- Hope, Jonathan and Michael Witmore. 2004. The Very Large Textual Object: A Prosthetic Reading of Shakespeare. Early Modern Literary Studies 9.3/Special Issue 12, January. http://extra.shu.ac.uk/emls/09-3/hopewhit.htm. Accessed 24 December 2014.
- Kwiatkowski Tom et al. 2013. Scaling Semantic Parsers with On-the-Fly Ontology Matching. Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, October: 1545–56. http://homes.cs.washington.edu/~lsz/papers/kcaz-emnlp13.pdf. Accessed 12 January 2015.
- Mayer-Schönberger, Viktor and Kenneth Cukier. 2013. Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work and Think. London: John Murray.Google Scholar
- Montaigne, Michel de. 1958. Complete Essays. Trans. Donald M. Frame, 1957. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Moretti, Franco. 2005. Graphs, Maps, Trees: Abstract Models for Literary History. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Ogden, C.K. and I.A. Richards. 1923. The Meaning of Meaning. London: Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- Read the Web. http://rtw.ml.cmu.edu/rtw/. Accessed 12 January 2015.
- Saussure, Ferdinand de. 1975. Course in General Linguistics. Trans. Wade Baskin, 1959. London: Fontana/Collins.Google Scholar
- Stray, Jonathan. 2010. A Full-Text Visualization of the Iraq War Logs. http://jonathanstray.com/a-full-text-visualization-of-the-iraq-war-logs. Accessed 12 January 2015.Google Scholar