Means of 2D and 3D Shapes and Their Application in Anatomical Atlas Building
This works deals with the concept of mean when applied to 2D or 3D shapes and with its applicability to the construction of digital atlases to be used in digital anatomy. Unlike numerical data, there are several possible definitions of the mean of a shape distribution and procedures for its estimation from a sample of shapes. Most popular definitions are based in the distance function or in the coverage function, each with its strengths and limitations. Closely related to the concept of mean shape is the concept of atlas, here understood as a probability or membership map that tells how likely is that a point belongs to a shape drawn from the shape distribution at hand. We devise a procedure to build probabilistic atlases from a sample of similar segmented shapes using information simultaneously from both functions: the distance and the coverage. Applications of the method in digital anatomy are provided as well as experiments to show the advantages of the proposed method regarding state of the art techniques based on the coverage function.
KeywordsProbabilistic atlas Mean shapes Medical image segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bauer, S., Seiler, C., Bardyn, T., Buechler, P., Reyes, M.: Atlas-based segmentation of brain tumor images using a markov random field-based tumor growth model and non-rigid registration. In: Annual Intl. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 4080–4083, September 2010Google Scholar
- 3.Eddelbuettel, D., Francoisloader, R.: Rinside R package: C++ classes to embed R in C++ applications (2014). http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RInside
- 4.Ibañez, M.V., Schroeder, W., Cates, L.: Insight Software Consortium The ITK Software Guide. http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
- 7.Loader, C.: locfit R package: Local regression, likelihood and density estimation (2013). http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/locfit
- 10.Tateyama, T., Okegawa, M., Uetani, M., Tanaka, H., Kohara, S., Han, X., et al.: Efficient shape representation and statistical shape modeling of the liver using spherical harmonic functions (SPHARM). In: 13th Intl. Symp. on Advanced Intelligent Systems (ISIS) Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems (SCIS), pp. 428–431, November 2012Google Scholar
- 11.Xiong, W., Ong, S.H., Tian, Q., Guozhen, X., Zhou, J., Liu, J., Venkatash, S.K.: Construction of a linear unbiased diffeomorphic probabilistic liver atlas from CT images. In: 16th IEEE Intl. Conference on Image Processing Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 1773–1776, November 2009Google Scholar
- 12.Lötjönen, L., Wolz, R., Koikkalainen, J., Thurfiell, L., et al.: Improved generation of probabilistic atlases for the expectation maximization classification. In: IEEE Intl. Symp. on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, pp. 1839–1842 (2011)Google Scholar