Pose Normalisation for 3D Vehicles
This study\(^1\) investigates the various pose normalisation techniques that can be used for 3D vehicle models. A framework is built on which the pose normalisation performance of four PCA based techniques are tested on a database of 335 3D vehicles. The evaluation is performed using two methods. In the first method a silhouette view of each pose normalised vehicle is rendered from a consitent point in the 3D space. The pose consitency of each vehicle is then compared to the silhouettes of the vehicles in the same category. The second method compares the direct influence of the four techniques on the final precision and recall results of a search algorithm based on a simple scan-line feature descriptor. Results from both methods show that Center-of-Gravity PCA and Continous-PCA performed noticably better then PCA and Normal-PCA. The superiority of Continous-PCA over Center-of-Gravity PCA was negligible.
KeywordsPose normalisation Principal component analysis Normal PCA Centre of gravity PCA Continous PCA 3D vehicle 3D model alignment Vehicle recognition Vehicle classification Symmetry normalisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wei, L., Yuanjun, H.: 3D model retrieval based on orthogonal projections. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Computer Aided Design and Computer Graphics, CAD-CG 2005, pp. 157–162. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Vranic, D., Saupe, D.: 3D model retrieval. In: Proc. Spring Conference on Computer Graphics and its Applications, pp. 89–93. Budmerice Manor, Slovakia (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Paquet, E., Rioux, M., Murching, A., Naveen, T., Tabatabai, A.: Description of shape information for 2-D and 3-D objects. Signal Processing: Image Communication 16(1–2), 103–122 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Napoléon, T., Sahbi, H.: From 2D silhouettes to 3D object retrieval: Contributions and benchmarking. J. Image Video Process., 1:1–1:22, January 2010Google Scholar
- 8.Vranic, D.: 3D Model Retrieval. Ph.D. thesis, University of Leipzig (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Chaouch, M., Verroust-Blondet, A.: 3D model retrieval based on depth line descriptor. In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo., pp. 599–602, July 2007Google Scholar
- 12.Axenopoulos, A., Litos, G., Daras, P.: 3D model retrieval using accurate pose estimation and view-based similarity. In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, ICMR 2011, pp. 41:1–41:8. ACM, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.NIST: Results for shrec 2009 - shape retrieval contest on a new generic shape benchmark. http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/vug/sharp/benchmark/shrecGeneric/results.html
- 16.DMI: Dmi car 3D models. http://www.dmi-3d.net/
- 17.Shilane, P., Min, P., Kazhdan, M., Funkhouser, T.: The princeton shape benchmark. In: Proceedings of the Shape Modeling Applications, pp. 167–178, June 2004Google Scholar