A Novel Method for Simultaneous Acquisition of Visible and Near-Infrared Light Using a Coded Infrared-Cut Filter
This paper presents a novel image sensing method to enhance the sensitivity of a camera. Most image sensors used in commercial digital cameras are sensitive for both visible and infrared light. An IR-cut filter, that obstructs the infrared component of natural light, is used in such cameras to realize a similar color reproduction as for the human visual system. However, recent studies have shown that the near infrared light contains useful information to further enhance the visible image. This paper introduces a new sensing method by using a coded IR-cut filter to enable simultaneous capturing of NIR and visible light on a single image sensor. The coded IR-cut filter lets a fraction of the near infrared light pass and blocks out the rest. Both visible and near infrared light images can be separated from the sensor output when taking the diffraction of the NIR light into account. Experiments, using a synthesized image sensor output, demonstrate the validity of the method.
KeywordsCoded IR-cut filter Near-infrared Sensitivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Schaul, L., Fredembach, C., Süsstrunk, S.: Color image dehazing using the near-infrared. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Number LCAV-CONF-2009-026 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhuo, S., Zhang, X., Miao, X., Sim, T.: Enhancing low light images using near infrared flash images. In: 2010 17th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2537–2540. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Lu, Y.M., Fredembach, C., Vetterli, M., Süsstrunk, S.: Designing color filter arrays for the joint capture of visible and near-infrared images. In: 2009 16th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 3797–3800. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, F., Mou, S., Shan, J.: Visible and infrared dual mode imaging system, April 2, 2013. US Patent 8,408,821Google Scholar
- 8.Sadeghipoor, Z., Lu, Y.M., Susstrunk, S.: A novel compressive sensing approach to simultaneously acquire color and near-infrared images on a single sensor. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 1646–1650. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Goodman, J.W.: Introduction to Fourier optics. Roberts and Company Publishers (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Gribbon, K.T., Bailey, D.G.: A novel approach to real-time bilinear interpolation. In: Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology, pp. 126–131. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Department of Computer Science, University of Regina: Image Processing: Frequency Domain ProcessingGoogle Scholar