ICEMAN: A Practical Architecture for Situational Awareness at the Network Edge
- Samuel WoodAffiliated withUC Santa CruzSUNS-tech, Inc.
- , James MathewsonAffiliated withUC Santa CruzSUNS-tech, Inc.
- , Joshua JoyAffiliated withUC Los Angeles
- , Mark-Oliver StehrAffiliated withSRI International
- , Minyoung KimAffiliated withSRI International Email author
- , Ashish GehaniAffiliated withSRI International
- , Mario GerlaAffiliated withUC Los Angeles
- , Hamid SadjadpourAffiliated withUC Santa CruzSUNS-tech, Inc.
- , J. J. Garcia-Luna-AcevesAffiliated withUC Santa Cruz
Situational awareness applications used in disaster response and tactical scenarios require efficient communication without support from a fixed infrastructure. As commercial off-the-shelf mobile phones and tablets become cheaper, they are increasingly deployed in volatile ad-hoc environments. Despite wide use, networking in an efficient and distributed way remains as an active research area, and few implementation results on mobile devices exist. In these scenarios, where users both produce and consume sensed content, the network should efficiently match content to user interests without making any fixed infrastructure assumptions. We propose the ICEMAN (Information CEntric Mobile Ad-hoc Networking) architecture which is designed to support distributed situational awareness applications in tactical scenarios. We describe the motivation, features, and implementation of our architecture and briefly summarize the performance of this novel architecture.
- ICEMAN: A Practical Architecture for Situational Awareness at the Network Edge
- Book Title
- Logic, Rewriting, and Concurrency
- Book Subtitle
- Essays Dedicated to José Meseguer on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday
- pp 617-631
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing Switzerland
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 13. Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- 14. University of Oslo
- 15. SRI International
- Author Affiliations
- 16. UC Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, USA
- 17. SUNS-tech, Inc., Santa Cruz, USA
- 18. UC Los Angeles, Los Angeles, USA
- 19. SRI International, Menlo Park, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.