A Bandwidth Allocation Method Based on Psychological Factors Considering QoE of Users
The explosion of the internet and its service are changing our daily lives and making our lives more convenient by becoming easily accessible from anywhere. However, the popularity of the internet also poses a challenge for network managers and internet service providers (ISPs): how is it possible meet the needs of users and optimize network resources? To solve this problem, it is necessary to find a feasible solution that allocates limited network resources to users reasonably. One allocation method, which has been investigated in previous studies, is based on the viewpoint of fairness in the quality of service (QoS). However, user satisfaction may vary depending on a users characteristics and individual psychological factors, even with the same network resources. To overcome this limitation, an allocation method based on the viewpoint of fairness in the quality of experience (QoE) is developed. From the viewpoint of the QoE, this paper proposes a bandwidth allocation method for mobile services that is based on the users psychological factors using the Newton-Raphson method. The proposed method can meet the requirements of both users and ISPs: it guarantees a fair QoE for users and increases the efficient management of network resources by ISPs.
KeywordsQoE Bandwidth allocation Utility function Fairness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T Rec. P.10/G.100, Amendment1: New appendix I - definition of quality of experience (QoE) (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Yamazaki, T., Eguchi, M., Miyoshi, T., Yamori, K.: Quality of experience modeling with psychological effect for interactive web services. In: IEEE Workshop QoE Centric Management (QCMan) (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Yamazaki, T., Miyoshi, T.: Resource allocation method based on QoE for multiple user types. In: 7th Int. Conf. Commun. Theory, Reliability, and Quality of Service (CTRQ) (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Egger, S., Hossfeld, T., Schatz, R., Fiedler, M.: Waiting times in quality of experience for web based services. In: 4th Int. Workshop Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX), pp. 86–96 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Pham-Thi, H., Hoang-Van, H., Miyoshi, T., Yamazaki, T.: QoE-driven bandwidth allocation method based on user characteristics. In: 16th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium (APNOMS), Taiwan (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Quadratic equation. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticEquation.html
- 9.Cubic function. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html
- 10.Newton-Raphson method. http://www.shodor.org/unchem/math/newton/
- 11.ITU-T Rec. P800: Methods for subjective determination of transmission quality (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Yahoo news. http://news.yahoo.co.jp/