Data Analysis as a Service: An Infrastructure for Storing and Analyzing the Internet of Things
As the Internet of Things (IoT) is becoming an increasingly trendy topic both for individuals, businesses and governments, the need for academically reviewed and developed prototypes focusing on certain aspects of IoT are increasing as well. Throughout this paper we propose an architecture and a technology stack for creating real-time applications focusing on time-series data generated by IoT devices. The architecture and technology stack are then implemented through a proof-of-concept prototype named Office Analysis as a Service, DaaS, a data-centric web application developed using Meteor.js and MongoDB. We also propose a data structure for storing time-series data in a MongoDB document for optimal query performance of large datasets. One common research challenge in the IoT, security, is considered only briefly, and is of utmost importance in future research..
KeywordsInternet of things Mongodb Data analysis as a protocol Meteor Restful services Reactive visualisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duquennoy, S., Grimaud, G. and Vandewalle, J.-J.: The Web of Things: Interconnecting Devices with High Usability and Performance (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Meteor: DDP Meteor.com. (2015). https://www.meteor.com/ddp
- 3.Paganelli, F., Turchi, S., Giuli, D.: A web of things framework for restful applications and its experimentation in a smart city. IEEE Systems Journal, 1–12 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Palattella, M.R., Accettura, N., Vilajosana, X., Watteyne, T., Grieco, L.A., Boggia, G., Dohler, M.: Standardized protocol stack for the internet of (important) things. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Uckelmann, D., Harrison, M., Michahelles, F.: Architecting the internet of things. Springer, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, L.D., He, W., Li, S.: Internet of things in industries: a survey. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2233–2243 (2014)Google Scholar