Performance Evaluation of Methods for Estimating Achievable Throughput on Cellular Connections
The continuous increase in always connected devices and the advance in capabilities of networks and services offered via the network is evident. The target group of most of these devices and services is users, so how users perceive the network performance is of great importance. Estimating achievable throughput (AT) is the main focus of this paper, which can be expressed as the data rate that users experience. We establish the Bulk Transfer Capacity (BTC) method as the ground truth of the AT. We choose to evaluate the Trains of Packet-Pair (TOPP) method as an alternative to BTC in estimating AT, due to its much reduced resource consumption. Based on real-life measurements of the two methods we conclude that TOPP is a good candidate to estimate AT, based on similarity in results with BTC.
KeywordsBTC TOPP Achievable throughput Cellular networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cisco: Cisco visual networking index: Forecast and methodology, 2012–2017, May 2014. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/ip-ngn-ip-next-generation-network/white_paper_c11-481360.html
- 2.Devi, U., Viswanathan, H., Kokku, R., Pichapati, V., Kalyanaraman, S.: On the estimation of available bandwidth in broadband cellular networks. In: 2014 Eleventh Annual IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication, and Networking (SECON), pp. 19–27, June 2014Google Scholar
- 5.Melander, B., Bjorkman, M., Gunningberg, P.: A new end-to-end probing and analysis method for estimating bandwidth bottlenecks. In: Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM 2000, vol. 1, pp. 415–420. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Mikkelsen, L.M., Thomsen, S.R., Pedersen, M.S., Madsen, T.K.: NetMap - creating a map of application layer qos metrics of mobile networks using crowd sourcing. In: Balandin, S., Andreev, S., Koucheryavy, Y. (eds.) NEW2AN/ruSMART 2014. LNCS, vol. 8638, pp. 544–555. Springer, Heidelberg (2014) Google Scholar
- 7.NETRADAR: Netradar, September 2014. https://www.netradar.org/en
- 8.Open Signal: Open signal, May 2014. http://opensignal.com/
- 10.The Internet Engineering Task Force: Ip performance metrics, May 2014. http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ippm/charter/