LTE Positioning Accuracy Performance Evaluation
In this paper we investigate the positioning accuracy of user equipment (UE) with observed time difference of arrival (OTDoA) technique in Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks using dedicated positioning reference signal (PRS) by means of comprehensive simulation model. System-level model includes typical cellular network layout with spatially distributed eNodeB (eNB) and link-level model simulates PRS transmission and reception with LTE System Toolbox. Matlab “TDOA Positioning Using PRS example” was developed to include known linear least squares (LLS), nonlinear Gauss-Newton (GN) and Levenberg-Marquardt (LM) positioning algorithms and compare it with Cramer-Rao lower bound (CRLB). Resulting estimates clarify known results and reveal that simple LLS achieves close to LM positioning accuracy when the number of eNB is 6, while further increasing the number of eNB degrades positioning algorithms accuracy.
KeywordsLTE UE eNB OTDoA PRS Cramer-Rao lower bound Levenberg-Marquardt Gauss-Newton Linear least squares Positioning accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.GPP TS 36.355 V12.2.0. LTE; Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); LTE Positioning Protocol (LPP) (3GPP TS 36.355 version 12.2.0 Release 12), October 2014Google Scholar
- 2.Thorpe, M., Kottkamp, M., Rössler, A., Schütz J.: LTE Location Based Services Technology Introduction. Rohde & Schwarz, April 2013Google Scholar
- 3.Fischer, S.: Observed Time Difference of Arrival (OTDOA) Positioning in 3GPP LTE. Qualcomm Technologies, June 2014Google Scholar
- 4.GPP TS 36.211 V12.3.0. LTE; Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); Physical channels and modulation (3GPP TS 36.211 version 12.3.0 Release 12, October 2014Google Scholar
- 5.GPP TS 36.214 V12.0.0. LTE; Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); Physical layer; Measurements (3GPP TS 36.214 version 12.0.0 Release 12), October 2014Google Scholar
- 6.Del Peral-Rosado, J.A., Lopez-Salcedo, J.A., Seco-Granados, G., Zanier, F., Crisci, M.: Achievable localization accuracy of the positioning reference signal of 3GPP LTE. In: Proceedings of International Conference on the Localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS), pp. 1–6. IEEE, Starnberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Mensing, C., Plass, S.: Positioning algorithms for cellular networks using TDOA. In: Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP 2006, vol. 4, May 2006Google Scholar
- 10.Sivers, M., Fokin, G., Duxovnickiy, O.: LTE Mobile Station Positioning Using Time Difference of Arrival. Control systems and Information Technologies 1(59), 55–61 (2015). Voronezh State Technical University,V.A. Trapeznikov Institute of Control Sciences, RAS, ISSN: 1729-5068Google Scholar
- 11.LTE System Toolbox™. The MathWorks, Inc. http://www.mathworks.com/products/lte-system/
- 12.Zekavat, R., Buehrer, M.R.: Handbook of Position Location: Theory, Practice and Advances. Wiley-IEEE Press (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.GPP TR 36.814 V9.0.0. 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Radio Access Network; Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); Further advancements for E-UTRA physical layer aspects (GPP TR 36.814 Release 9 2 V9.0.0), March 2010Google Scholar