Adaptive Mobile P2P Streaming System for Wireless LAN
Recent advance in digital technologies, such as broadband wireless networking, media compression technologies, and embedded system technologies, has enabled it possible to provide a real-time video streaming service over the Internet. Specially, IEEE 802.11 standards have been developing to handle new application demands like a video streaming. The mobile video traffic has been already dominating network usage, as the number of mobile multimedia devices is increasing. Therefore, mobile peer-to-peer(P2P) streaming system can be considered as a promising way to distribute media streams over the wireless LAN because of its scalability and efficiency. However, the bandwidth of wireless links changes dynamically depending on the mobility of peers and symmetric allocation. The link bandwidth fluctuation can affect negatively the mobile P2P streaming performance. In order to guarantee overall service quality of P2P streaming system in wireless environment, an adaptive mechanism, that considers the timing-varying wireless link conditions, is required. In this paper, we investigate the effect of wireless LAN on a P2P streaming and propose the adaptive P2P streaming system considering the wireless network conditions.
KeywordsMobile P2P streaming Adaptive P2P system Wireless LANs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cisco White Paper: Cisco VNI: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update 2014–2019 White Paper (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Thampi, S.M. : A Review on P2P Video Streaming (2013). arXiv preprint arXiv:1304.1235
- 3.Wu, X., Chan, X., Wang, H.: An Effiective Scheme for Performance Improvement of P2P Live Streaming Systems. Journal of Networks, 9(4) (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.BitTorrent Protocol Specification v1.0 (2005). http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification
- 5.Vlavianos, A., Iliofotou, M., Faloutsos, M.: BiToS: enhancing BitTorrent for supporting streaming applications. In: INFOCOM 2006, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 23-29, April 2006Google Scholar
- 7.Laoutaris, N., Carra, D., Michiardi, P.: Uplink Allocation Beyond Choke/Unchoke, ACM CoNEXT 2008, Madrid, Spain (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Qiu, F., Bai, J., Cui, Y., Xue, Y.: Optimal rate allocation in peer-to-peer streaming over wireless networks. In: International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and System (CTS) 2011, pp. 23–27. IEEE Press, NJ (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Ma, Z., Qiu, D.: A novel optimistic unchoking algorithm for BitTorrent. In: Proc. of the 6th IEEE Conference on Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, CCNC 2009, pp. 327–330. IEEE Press, NJ (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Tan, E., Guo, L., Chen, S., Zhang, X.: SCAP: smart caching inwireless access points to improve P2P streaming. In: International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS 2007, pp. 61–69. IEEE Press, NJ (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Jupiter Networks White Paper: Coverage or capacity making the best use of 802.11n (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.NS-3 Network Simulator. http://nsnam.org