Application of Mass Customization in the Construction Industry
This paper is based on the assumption of that Danish companies in the construction industry can benefit from the advantages inherent in the use of Mass Customization.
Mass Customization is a production strategy that focuses on offering customized products, at a low cost. Exploiting of principles in Mass Customization, like standardization of modules, configuration and flexible production, makes it possible using a variety of tools to composing and producing customized products for commercializing at similar conditions as serial produced standard products.
The research contribution of the project is to clarify the situation of “where we are today” and to determine the development potential for the companies, and since it is early days in the project, the statistical material will improve when involving more companies in the workshops.
KeywordsMass Customization Construction industry Increased productivity
- 1.Batchelor, R.: Henry Ford, Mass Production, Modernism, and Design, vol. 1. Manchester University Press, Manchester (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Bohnstedt, K.D.: Enabling facilitation of mass customization via partnering in the construction industry. In: Brunoe, T.D., Nielsen, K., Joergensen, K.A., Taps, S.B. (eds.) MCPC 2014. LNIP, pp. 179–188. Springer, Switzerland (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Pine, B.J.: Mass Customization: The New Frontier in Business Competition. Harvard Business School Press, Boston (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Salvador, F., De Holan, P.M., Piller, F.: Cracking the Code of mass customization. MIT Sloan Manage. Rev. 50, 71–78 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Walcher, D., Piller, F.T.: The Customization 500, 1st edn. Lulu Press, Aachen (2011)Google Scholar