Empirical Evidence About Community Knowledge Preservation
This chapter reports case studies on four communities of practice in order to understand how a community preserves knowledge. The methodology of analysis used is the multiple case study, which is a qualitative method of research recognized as particularly suitable for exploring a phenomenon in a natural setting. The case studies reported allow me to better define the boundaries between the various processes of knowledge management by distinguishing the process of knowledge preservation from others. The case studies also provide evidence of the interplay between knowledge and knowing by clarifying the various mechanisms and tools that enable community members to select, store and actualize explicit and tacit forms of collective knowledge.
KeywordsCommunities of practice Empirical evidence Case study research Knowledge preservation Mechanisms and tools
- Agrifoglio, R., & Metallo, C. (2015). Preserving knowledge through community of practice: A multiple case study. In L. Mola, F. Pennarola & S. Za (Eds.), From information to smart society (Vol. 5, pp. 103–111). Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organisation (LNISO), Springer.Google Scholar
- Cerrato, E. A. (n.d.). Benvenuti. http://www.oratoriosanfilippo.org/presentazione.html. Accessed May 20, 2015.
- Nicolini, D., Gherardi, S., & Yanow, D. (2003). Knowing in organizations: A Practice-based Approach. USA: M. E. Sharpe Inc.Google Scholar
- Schiavone, F., & Agrifoglio, R. (2012). Communities of practice and practice preservation: A case study. In M. De Marco, D. Te’eni, V. Albano & S. Za, Information systems: Crossroads for organization, management, accounting and engineering. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Shavelson, R., & Towne, L. (2002). Scientific inquiry in education. Washington, DC: National Academy Press. Shavelson Scientific inquiry in education 2002.Google Scholar
- Werner, B. (2011). Egyptian boats, Saqqara (Ägypten, Sakkara, Mastaba des Ti). Photograph. Wikimedia Commons. Source: Saqqara_BW_11.jpg. Web. 24 July 2011. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Saqqara_BW_11_c.jpg. Accessed 16 March 2015.
- Wilbour, C. E. (n.d.). Boat-Building scene (ca. 664–634 B.C.E). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 51.14. Creative Commons-BY. https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/3553/Boat-Building_Scene (Accessed 21 May 2015).
- Yin, R. K. (2004). The case study anthology. Beverly Hills: Sage publications.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2013). Case study research: Design and methods. Beverly Hills: Sage publications.Google Scholar