Summary and Current Status
The nuclear matter equation of state (EOS) plays an important role in our understanding of nuclear bulk properties, as well as processes taking place in the stellar environments (i.e. dynamics of supernovae collapse and structure of neutron stars). The EOS also sheds light on the phase transitions taking place in the heavy ion collision reactions. Its exact determination is being pursued extensively, both experimentally and theoretically. Nuclear incompressibility is an important parameter of the nuclear matter EOS. The centroid energy of one of the nuclear compression modes – the isoscalar Giant Monopole Resonance (ISGMR) – is a direct experimental tool to constrain the value of nuclear matter incompressibility.
KeywordsSymmetry Energy Giant Resonance Centroid Energy Supernova Collapse Nuclear Matter Equation
- 6.D. Patel, U. Garg, M. Fujiwara, T. Adachi, H. Akimune, G.P.A. Berg, A. Okamoto, K. Sault, R. Talwar, M. Uchida, M. Yosoi, Testing the mutually enhanced magicity effect in nuclear incompressibility via the giant monopole resonance in the 204, 206, 208Pb isotopes. Phys. Lett. B 726, 178–181 (2013) doi: 10.1016/j.physletb.2013.08.027
- 7.G. Colò, U. Garg, H. Sagawa, Symmetry energy from the nuclear collective motion: constraints from dipole, quadrupole, monopole and spin-dipole resonances. Eur. Phys. J. A 50(2), 26 (2014). ISSN 1434-6001. doi: 10.1140/epja/i2014-14026-9
- 13.J. Piekarewicz, Symmetry energy constraints from giant resonances: a relativistic mean-field theory overview. Eur. Phys. J. A 50(2), 25 (2014). ISSN 1434-6001. doi: 10.1140/epja/i2014-14025-x
- 111.D. Patel, U. Garg, M. Fujiwara, H. Akimune, G. Berg, M. Harakeh, M. Itoh, T. Kawabata, K. Kawase, B. Nayak, T. Ohta, H. Ouchi, J. Piekarewicz, M. Uchida, H. Yoshida, M. Yosoi, Giant monopole resonance in even-A Cd isotopes, the asymmetry term in nuclear incompressibility, and the “softness” of Sn and Cd nuclei. Phys. Lett. B 718(2), 447–450 (2012). ISSN 03702693. doi: 10.1016/j.physletb.2012.10.056
- 119.D. Patel, U. Garg, M. Itoh, H. Akimune, G. Berg, M. Fujiwara, M. Harakeh, C. Iwamoto, T. Kawabata, K. Kawase, J. Matta, T. Murakami, A. Okamoto, T. Sako, K. Schlax, F. Takahashi, M. White, M. Yosoi, Excitation of giant monopole resonance in 208Pb and 116Sn using inelastic deuteron scattering. Phys. Lett. B 735, 387–390 (2014). ISSN 03702693. doi: 10.1016/j.physletb.2014.06.073