Facebook as a Learning Tool in Formal Learning Process
Social networks and the huge number of users in worldwide offer great social and business potential. In this research, we aim to find the required features in social networks (Facebook) to enhance it as learning tool. Firstly, we observed the exist Facebook features that can be used in the learning process in comparison with the LMS (Fronter). Afterwards, we propose some required feature in Facebook based on the experiment that we ran on students. Those students had been studying Introduction to Information Security course in the second year of bachelor degree in our university.
KeywordsFacebook eLearning Learning tools Formal learning process
- 2.Colletta, N.J.: Formal, nonformal, and informal education. Int. Encyclopaedia Adult Educ. Training 2, 22–27 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Coombs, P.H., Prosser, R.C., Ahmed, M.: New Paths to Learning: For Rural Children and Youth. International Council for Educational Development, New York (1973)Google Scholar
- 4.Whitty, C., Anane, R.: Social network enhancement for non-formal learning. In: 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), 2014, pp. 1645–1654. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Caminero, A.C., Ros, S., Robles-Gomez, A., Tobarra, L., Hernandez, R., Pastor, R., Rodriguez-Artacho, M., Cristobal, E.S., Martin, S., Tawfik, M.: Work in progress: extending a LMS with social capabilities: integrating moodle into Facebook. In: Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2012, pp. 1–2. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Moodle: https://moodle.org/. Accessed 07 Nov 2014