Zonal RANS-LES Computation for Near-Stall-Airfoil Flow
A fully coupled zonal Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes - large-eddy simulation method (zonal RANS-LES) is applied to subsonic flow over the HGR-01 airfoil at high angle of attack. Several zonal-boundary formulations such as forcing layers, a reformulated synthetic turbulent generation method, and a turbulent reconstruction approach are discussed. It is shown that the aerodynamic properties are satisfactorily predicted and the computational costs for a subsonic airfoil near stall compared to a pure LES are decreased by a factor of approximately four. Nevertheless, it has to be stated that the local RANS solution has a non-negligible impact on the susceptible flow phenomena such as the separation when the RANS-LES boundary is located in a non-zero pressure gradient flow regime. This RANS impact is even more pronounced when a pressure driven coupling between an LES-RANS and a RANS-LES boundary exists.
KeywordsTurbulent Kinetic Energy Adverse Pressure Gradient Aerodynamic Property Laminar Separation Bubble RANS Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Celić, A., Hirschel, E.H.: Comparison of eddy-viscosity turbulence models in flows with adverse pressure gradient. AIAA J. 44(10), 2153–2169 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.El-Askary, W., Schröder, W., Meinke, M.: LES of compressible wall-bounded flows. AIAA Paper (2003–3554) (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Geurts, K.J., Meinke, M., Schröder, W.: A fully coupled zonal rans-les method for high angle of attack flow. AIAA-2012-3023 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.König, D., Meinke, M., Schröder, W.: Embedded LES/RANS boundary in zonal simulations. J. Turbul. 11(7), 1–25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Roidl, B., Meinke, M., Schröder, W.: Zonal RANS-LES computation of transonic airfoil flow. In: 29th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference on AIAA Paper 2011–3974, pp. 27–30, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2011Google Scholar
- 13.Spalart, P.R., Allmaras, S.R.: A One-Equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows. In: 30th Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit on AIAA-Paper 92–0439, January 6–9, Reno (1992)Google Scholar
- 14.Spalart, P.R., Jou, W.H., Strelets, M., Allmaras, S.R.: Comments on the feasibility of les for wings, and on a hybrid RANS/LES approach. In: Advances on DNS/LES, pp. 137–147. Greyden Press, Columbus (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Wilcox, D.C.: Turbulence Modeling for CFD. DCW Industries (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Wokoeck, R., Krimmelbein, N., Ortmans, J., Ciobaca, V., Radespiel, R., Krumbein, A.: RANS Simulations and Experiments on the Stall Behaviour of an Airfoil with Laminar Separation Bubbles. AIAA-2006-0244 (2006)Google Scholar