Distributed Grid-Based K Nearest Neighbour Query Processing Over Moving Objects
- 2.2k Downloads
K-nearest neighbour (k-NN) queries over moving objects is a classic problem with applications to a wide spectrum of location-based services. Abundant algorithms exist for solving this problem in a centralized setting using a single server, but many of them become inapplicable when distributed processing is called for tackling the increasingly large scale of data. To address this challenge, we propose a distributed grid-based solution to k-NN query processing over moving objects. First, we design a new grid-based index called Block Grid Index (BGI), which indexes moving objects using a two-layer structure and can be easily constructed and maintained in a distributed setting. We then propose a distributed k-NN algorithm based on BGI, called DBGKNN. We implement BGI and DBGKNN in the commonly used master-worker mode, and the efficiency of our solution is verified by extensive experiments with millions of nodes.
KeywordsQuery Processing Query Time Baseline Method Query Object Split Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaudhuri, S., Gravano, L.: Evaluating top-k selection queries. In: VLDB, vol. 99, pp. 397–410 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Roussopoulos, N., Kelley, S., Vincent, F.: Nearest neighbor queries. In: ACM Sigmod Record, vol. 24, pp. 71–79. ACM (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Seidl, T., Kriegel, H.-P.: Optimal multi-step k-nearest neighbor search. In: ACM SIGMOD Record, vol. 27, pp. 154–165. ACM (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Šidlauskas, D., Šaltenis, S., Jensen, C.S.: Parallel main-memory indexing for moving-object query and update workloads. In: Proceedings of the 2012 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 37–48. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Tao, Y., Papadias, D., Shen, Q.: Continuous nearest neighbor search. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pp. 287–298. VLDB Endowment (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Yu, C., Ooi, B.C., Tan, K.-L., Jagadish, H.: Indexing the distance: an efficient method to knn processing. In: VLDB, vol. 1, pp. 421–430 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Yu, X., Pu, K.Q., Koudas, N.: Monitoring k-nearest neighbor queries over moving objects. In: Proceedings of 21st International Conference on Data Engineering, ICDE 2005, pp. 631–642. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar