Advertisement

From Invisible to Visible: The Evolution of Space Formation of the Nineteenth Century Christian Missionary Work in Taiwan

  • Yin-Chun TsengEmail author
  • Kun-Chen Chang
  • Fu-Kuo Mii
  • Chiu-Wei Chien
Conference paper
Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 9180)

Abstract

The nineteenth century, Priest Mackay carried out the missionary work in Taiwan with the permission from The Presbyterian Church in Canada. The purpose of this study was to investigate how Mackay in a foreign land pioneer the missionary gathering space. MacKay gathered believers at temples, under trees or in hotels at the early stage. As the believers became more, some families started to provide gathering space and donated. In small towns the churches were usually built in private homes or with small size while they were built tall and with Western-style in densely populated towns. Mackay established small schools where it was densely populated in order to cultivate future missionaries. Also in many churches drug stores were installed, by which it facilitated the distribution of western medication in northern Taiwan. The evolution of missionary spatial form reflected the attitude of Taiwanese people toward the foreign religion. And from the change in space it also reflected that the relationship between Taiwanese and Christianity were gradually being recognized.

Keywords

Priest Mackay The Presbyterian Church Church Missionary 

References

  1. Chinese Academy: The File of the Negotiation of China, France and Vietnam (1962)Google Scholar
  2. Mackay, G.L.: The Assembly of Presbyterian Church of Northern Taiwan. Diaries of George Leslie Mackay 1871–1901. Tipi (Translation) (2012)Google Scholar
  3. Mackay, G.L.: edited by J. A. Macdonald, translated by Wan-Seng Lin, published by Avanguard.From Far Formosa¬-The Island, its People and Mission (2007)Google Scholar
  4. Chen, H.-W.: The History of Presbyterian Church of Northern. The Presbyterian Church of Taiwan, Taiwan (Translation) (1942)Google Scholar
  5. Kuo, H.-L.: Foreign Protestant Missionary: The Autography of George Leslie MacKay, P71. Tainan Seminary (1971)Google Scholar
  6. Chang, J.: The Note of Presbyterian John Chang: The Story of A-Tsang-a, Toā-Chiu Church, April 1987Google Scholar
  7. Lai, J.: 189 The Daughter-in-law: Tsang-a, History of Church, 2rd edition (1992)Google Scholar
  8. Lai, J.: 280 The Establishment of Keelung Church and Gao – Zhen, History of Church, 3rd edition (1995)Google Scholar
  9. Lai, J.: 576 The Establishment of Tsúi-tng-kha Church, History of Church, 6rd edition (2002)Google Scholar
  10. Presbyterian Church in Taiwan: The 120th Anniversary of the Establishment of Sek-khán Church, Special Edition, pp. 1875--1995 (1995a)Google Scholar
  11. Presbyterian Church in Taiwan: The 120th Anniversary of the Establishment of Pat–li–hun Church, Special Edition, pp. 1874--1995 (1995b)Google Scholar
  12. Zuo, W.-H.: The 120th Anniversary of the Establishment of Toā-tiū-tiâ Church, Special Edition, 1875-1995, The Development and History of 120 years’ Establishment of Toā-tiū-tiâ Church, pp. 44–45 (1997)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015

Authors and Affiliations

  • Yin-Chun Tseng
    • 1
    Email author
  • Kun-Chen Chang
    • 2
  • Fu-Kuo Mii
    • 3
  • Chiu-Wei Chien
    • 4
  1. 1.Doctoral Program in Design, College of DesignNational Taipei University of TechnologyTaipei CityTaiwan
  2. 2.National Taipei University of TechnologyTaipei CityTaiwan
  3. 3.Tamkang UniversityTamsui District, New Taipei CityTaiwan
  4. 4.National Taiwan University of ArtsBan Ciao City, TaipeiTaiwan

Personalised recommendations