Usability Evaluation of Kinect-Based System for Ballet Movements
Since the 1800s, ballet education is influenced by the use of mirrors. The aim of this study is to evaluate a Kinect-based system called Super Mirror, to discover if it has an impact on the usability in ballet instruction. Ballet students were evaluated on eight ballet movements (plié, élevé, grand plié, battement tendu (front, side and back), passé and développé) to measure the Super Mirror’s impact. The results show a potential usage in ballet education but improvements of Super Mirror are needed to comply with the standardized subject-matter expert’s criteria.
KeywordsUsability Kinect Ballet User evaluation
Authors would like to thank Joao Beira and Sebastian Kox for offering the Super Mirror system for testing and providing technical help. We thank Prof. Snezana Filipovska, Ph.D. and Prof. Slagjana Spasenovska, M.A. for the insightful input regarding the fundamentals of ballet, through which many of the ideas in this paper were developed and shaped. We would also like to acknowledge the students from the State Ballet School, Ilija-Nikolovski Luj from Skopje, Macedonia who participated in the study.
- 1.American ballet theatre: american ballet theatre ballet dictionary. http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html
- 2.Anderson, F., Grossman, T., Matejka, J., Fitzmaurice, G.W.: YouMove: enhancing movement training with an augmented reality mirror. In: User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), pp. 311–320. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Foster, S.L., Desmond, J.: Dancing Bodies. New Cultural Studies of Dance, pp. 235–257. Duke University Press, Durham (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Gray, J.A.: The dance teacher a computerized behavioral profile. J. Phys. Res. Edu. Dance 54(9), 34–35 (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.Marquardt, Z., Beira, J., Em, N., Paiva, I., Kox, S: Super mirror: a kinect interface for ballet dancers. In: CHI 2012 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1619–1624. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Nielsen norman group. http://www.nngroup.com/articles/ten-usability-heuristics/
- 11.Radell, S.A.: Mirrors in dance class: help or hindrance? In: International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Synapse - Synapse for kinect. http://synapsekinect.tumblr.com/post/6610177302/syn.apse
- 15.Tryplex - the toolkit for collaborative design innovation - Google project hosting. http://code.google.com/p/tryplex/
- 16.Twitchett, E., Angioi, M., Koutedakis, Y., Wyon, M.: Video analysis of classical ballet performance. J. Dance. Med. Sci. 13(4), 124–128 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Research-Based Web Design and Usability Guidelines, Enlarged/Expanded edition. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington (2006)Google Scholar