The Study of Using Facebook in Taiwan’s Elderly Population—a Case Study in Learners of the Senior Citizens Academy in a City of Taiwan
Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook site in 2004, and open to e-mail applications use in 2006. The global active users of the Facebook site surpassed one billion people on September 14th, 2012. It spent 13 years that the users of the Google site founded in 1998 surpassed one billion people in 2011. It spent 8 years that the Facebook site to do so. The official statistics of the Facebook site represented that there are about 15 million users visited the Facebook site monthly and there are about 12 million people visited the site by using the mobile Internet devices in the fourth quarter of 2013 in Taiwan. In the same time, there are about 11 million users visited the Facebook site daily and there are about 8.5 million people visited the site by using the mobile Internet devices in Taiwan. Taiwan is a mature market for the Facebook site, the website penetration is the highest in the world.
Taiwan in where the Facebook site utility rate is so high faces the rapidly aging population issue. According to the statistics from Ministry of the Interior, Republic of China, the ratio of the population over 65 years old has exceeded 7 % in 1993. It means that Taiwan is the aging society. The ratio of the population over 65 years old is 11.90 % in October, 2014. With the statistics from Council for Economic Planning and Development in the Republic of China Executive Yuan, the ratio of Taiwan elderly population will exceed 14 % in 2018, and Taiwan will be the aged society. The ratio of Taiwan elderly population will increase quickly from 2014 to 2025 because of the effect of the postwar baby boom.
This investigation using action research discusses the elderly people studying IT lessons in the Senior Citizens Academy of a city in Taiwan. How do they use the Facebook site? We found that the elderly people is not the main usage group of the Facebook site, but using the Facebook site impacts positively for their learning, social networking, and the interactions among their family members. There are two difficulties for elderly people to use the Facebook site, one reason is they are not used to share their thinking to others, and the other reason is the computer operation is difficult for them. We also found that some of the elderly people begin to use the mobile Internet devices what are new things for them, and they use the internet, the Facebook site, Line by making use of the mobile Internet devices.
KeywordsTechnology Acceptance Model Senior Citizen Instant Messaging Elderly Education Elderly Student
- Wikipedia: Facebook. 15 Dec 2014. http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook
- Chiayi city government, Taiwan, ROC (2014). Demographics of Dec 2013. http://household.chiayi.gov.tw/population2/index-2.asp?m=99&m1=3&m2=150&gp=16
- Ministry of the Interior, Taiwan, ROC. Statistical Yearbook of Interior. 15 Dec 2014. http://sowf.moi.gov.tw/stat/year/y02-01.xls
- Huang, F.-S.: Various Senior Citizens’ Education. Wu-Nan Book Inc, Taipei (2007)Google Scholar
- Laws & Regulations Database of the Republic of China, Taiwan, ROC (2014). Senior Citizens Welfare Act. http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawContent.aspx?PCODE=D0050037
- Zhan, D.: The elderly psychology, ethics and education. Department of social education, Taiwan, ROC., The Elderly Education, Shta Book Inc Taipei (1991)Google Scholar
- Moody, H.R.: Education and the life circle. In: Sherron, R.H., Lumsden, D.B., (eds.), Introduction to Educational Gerontology, Washington DC, Hemisphere (1976)Google Scholar
- Long, H.B.: A brief history of education in the united stated with some implications for the public education of older adult. In: Peterson, D.A., Thornton, J.E., Brirren, J.E. (eds.) Education and Aging. Pretice-Hall Inc, Englewood Cliffs (1986)Google Scholar
- Walker, A.: The new generational contract: intergenerational relation. In: Walker, A., (ed.), Old Age and Welfare, UCL Press, London (1996)Google Scholar
- Guo, H.-M., Huai-Hui, F., Zhi-Hong, X.: The research of the difficult that the elderly internet consumer encounted. J. Ergonomic Study 9(2), 45–53 (2007)Google Scholar
- Zhao, C., Popovic, V., Ferreira, L., Lu, X.: Understanding older vehicle user: an interpretative approach. In: Paper Presented at the 2008 Design Research Society Conference Sheffied, UK August 2009Google Scholar
- Carr, W., Kemmis, S.: Becoming Critical: Education, knowledge and Action Research. Falmer, London (1986)Google Scholar
- Hensen, K.T.: Teachers as researches. In: Sikula, J. (ed.) Handbook of Research on Teacher Education, 2nd edn. Macmillan, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- TWNIC: The news release about Taiwan wireless internet use survey. 1 Feb 2015. http://www.twnic.net.tw/download/200307/20150202a.pdf