ICT Access in Libraries for Elders
The ability to use information and communication technologies (ICT) is becoming a necessity. Older users are one of the fastest growing segment of ICT users but many still face barriers in ICT use. Libraries are one of the first places that individuals turn to when looking for information or assistance with ICT. Libraries also serve as an important resource for individuals to access the Internet. However, libraries face several problems in providing services to elders. Lack of funding and trained staff, insufficient knowledge about accessibility prevents them from successfully serving their patrons. We present the Library-GPII-System, a cloud based auto-personalization system that will enable libraries to successfully serve their older patrons. Results from our library stakeholder needs analyses are also presented.
KeywordsLibraries Auto-personalization Cloud infrastructure Assistive technology Access features
Different components of the body of work described in this paper was, and/or is being, funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) grant agreement n° 289016 (Cloud4all) and 610510 (Prosperity4All), by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research, US Dept of Education and the Administration for Community Living under Grants H133E080022 (RERC-IT) and H133E130028 (UIITA-RERC) and contract ED-OSE-12-D-0013 (Preferences for Global Access), by the Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation, and the Canadian Foundation for Innovation. The opinions and results herein are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the funding agencies.
- 2.Federal Communications Commission, Connecting America: The national broadband plan (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.British Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Broadband Delivery, UK (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.American Library Association: Guidelines for Library and Information Services to Older Adults (2008). http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/libraryservices. Accessed 22 Nov 2104
- 12.Bertot, J.C., et al.: 2013 Digital inclusion survey: survey findings and results (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Architecture Overview. http://wiki.gpii.net/w/Architecture_Overview
- 14.Integrating a native solution. http://blogs.cloud4all.info/developers/information-about-your-solution/integrating-a-native-solution/