A Living Labs Approach for Usability Testing of Ambient Assisted Living Technologies
This paper presents usability tests results with real users during the prototype development phase of two applications for seniors care, AALFred and SmartCompanion. To this aim, usability testing was performed considering a Living Lab approach. Seniors were invited to use the applications in an environment that simulates the one they would use the tested technology during their everyday life. Observation methods, thinking aloud and questionnaires were used to collect data related to the systems’ effectiveness and users’ satisfaction, namely their expectations, frustrations and difficulties. Evaluations were performed during the initial phases of product development and results were used to improve the applications, considering the development cycle of User-Centered Design methodology.
KeywordsUsability tests User-centered design Ambient assisted living Living labs
Portuguese Project AAL4ALL (http://www.aal4all.org/), co-funded by the European Community Fund FEDER through COMPETE – Programa Operacional Factores de Competitividade (POFC).
- 1.United Nations: World Population Ageing 2009. United Nations, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.World Health Organization: Diabetes action now. In: W. H. Organization (ed.): World Health Organization and International Diabetes Federation (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.AAL PaeLife. http://www.aal-europe.eu/projects/paelife/. Accessed 6 Dec 2014
- 5.Smartcompanion. http://smartcompanion.projects.fraunhofer.pt/. Accessed 6 Dec 2014
- 6.International Organization for Standardization (ISO): Human-centred design processes for interactive systems. ISO 13407:1999. International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Pacheco da Rocha, N., Queirós, A., Oliveira, C., Teixeira, A., Pacheco, O., Pereira, C., Martins, A. I.: Integrated development and evaluation of innovative AAL services; A Living Lab approach. Paper presented at the Information Systems and Technologies (CISTI), 2013 8th Iberian Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, Lisbon, Portugal, 19–22 June 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Schumacher, J.: Alcotra Innovation project: Living Labs. Definition, Harmonization Cube Indicators & Good Practices (I. Alcotra, Trans.), Alcotra (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.QREN AAL4ALL, Ambient Assisted Living for ALL. http://www.aal4all.org/. Accessed 6 Dec 2014