Development of a User-Oriented IoT Middleware Architecture Based on Users’ Context Data
How to manage the connections of things efficiently with heterogeneous things is one of the important issues for IoT middleware development. Many researches have been focused on this issue but still no one accepted as the common model in the IoT environment. In this sense, we aim to develop a new IoT middleware architecture containing simple key-value model based and no-model based context-awareness function. The suggested middleware represents the context data without strictly defined data structure. Rather, it processes the context more focusing on the other technical aspects. We build the middleware architecture based on the basic structure of GSN (Global Sensor Networks). Also, by adapting no-model based context representation method suggested by Habit, we added the context-awareness function to the GSN. Through the middleware, many heterogeneous things not integrated on the standard structure can be managed effectively. We expect the suggested middleware can provide a flexible solution in current IoT development situation.
KeywordsIoT middleware architecture GSN Context-awareness
This research was supported by the Ministry of Education, South Korea, under the Brain Korea 21 Plus Project (No. 10Z20130000013) and Basic Science Research Program (No. NRF-2014R 1A 1A2054531).
- 1.Aberer, K., Hauswirth, M., Salehi, A.: Global sensor networks. Technical report (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Ashton, K.: That ‘internet of things’ thing. RFiD J. 22(7), 97–114 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Mashhadi, A.J., Ben Mokhtar, S., Capra, L.: Habit: leveraging human mobility and social network for efficient content dissemination in delay tolerant networks. In: World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks & Workshops (WoWMoM), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Perera, C., Zaslavsky, A., Christen, P., Compton, M., Georgakopoulos, D.: Context-aware sensor search, selection and ranking model for internet of things middleware. In: IEEE 14th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), pp. 314–322. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Sarnovský, M., Kostelník, P., Butka, P., Hreňo, J., Lacková, D.: First demonstrator of hydra middleware architecture for building automation. In: Proceedings of the Scientific Conference Znalosti (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Terziyan, V., Kaykova, O., Zhovtobryukh, D.: Ubiroad: semantic middleware for context-aware smart road environments. In: Fifth International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW), pp. 295–302. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, W., Hansen, K.M.: Towards self-managed pervasive middleware using owl/swrl ontologies. In Fifth International Workshop on Modelling and Reasoning in Context (MRC), pp. 1–12. TELECOM Bretagne (2008)Google Scholar