Towards an Automatic Clinical Classification of Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of visual deficiency and irreversible blindness for elderly individuals in Western countries. Its screening relies on human analysis of fundus images which often leads to inter- and intra-expert variability. With the aim of developing an automatic grading system for AMD, this paper focuses on identifying the best features for automatic detection of AMD in fundus images. First, different features based on local binary pattern (LBP), run-length matrix, color or gradient information are computed. Then, a feature selection is applied for dimensionality reduction. Finally, a support vector machine is trained to determine the presence or absence of AMD. Experiments were conducted on a dataset of 140 fundus images. A classification performance with an accuracy of 96 % is achieved on preprocessed images of macula area using LBP features.
KeywordsAge-related macular degeneration Fundus photography Automatic grading system Texture analysis Support vector machine
- 1.Kasuga, D.T., Chen, Y., Zhang, K.: Genetics of age-related degeneration. In: Ho, C.A., Regillo, C.D. (eds.) Age-related Macular Degeneration Diagnosis and Treatment, pp. 1–14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.van Grinsven, M.J., Lechanteur, Y.T., van de Ven, J.P., van Ginneken, B., Hoyng, C.B., Theelen, T., Sánchez, C.I.: Automatic drusen quantification and risk assessment of age-related macular degeneration on color fundus images. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 54(4), 3019–3027 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Garnier, M., Hurtut, T., Tahar, H.B., Cheriet, F.: Automatic multiresolution age-related macular degeneration detection from fundus images. In: SPIE Medical Imaging, International Society for Optics and Photonics. pp. 903532-903532 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005, vol. 1, pp. 886-893 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Pudil, P., Ferri, F.J., Novovicova, J., Kittler, J.: Floating search methods for feature selection with nonmonotonic criterion functions. In: Proceedings of the Twelveth International Conference on Pattern Recognition, IAPR (1994)Google Scholar