Image Categorization Using a Heuristic Automatic Clustering Method Based on Hierarchical Clustering
One approach to image categorization is the use of clustering algorithms to sets of images represented by various image descriptors. We propose the use of an automatic clustering algorithm to categorize an image-set represented by color moments. Using this clustering algorithm based on hierarchical clustering, this approach produced adequate results with only minimal user input when applied to a restricted image-set.
KeywordsImage classification Image processing Clustering
We gratefully acknowledge the support from NBIF’s (RAI 2012-047) New Brunswick Innovation Funding granted to Dr. Nabil Belacel.
- Bouachir, W., Kardouchi, M., Belacel, N.: Fuzzy indexing for bag of features scene categorization. In: 5th International Symposium on I/V Communications and Mobile Network (ISVC), 2010, pp. 1–4 (2010)Google Scholar
- LaPlante, F., Belacel, N., Kardouchi, M.: A hierarchical clustering heuristic for automatic clustering. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence, pp. 201–210 (2014)Google Scholar
- Nayar, S.K., Nene, S.A., Murase, H.: Columbia object image library (coil 100). Department of Computer Science, Columbia University, Technical report, CUCS-006-96 (1996)Google Scholar
- Sathya, B., Manavalan, R.: Image segmentation by clustering methods: performance analysis. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 29(11), 27–32 (2011)Google Scholar
- Stricker, M.A., Orengo, M.: Similarity of color images. In: Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 2420, pp. 381–392 (1995)Google Scholar