Robotic Urologic Surgery: How to Make an Effective Robotic Program—A European Perspective
- 610 Downloads
Over the last decade the introduction of novel technologies substantially changed our approach to patients with urologic pathologies. Worldwide the number of robotic procedures performed per year is rapidly increasing. In current literature the relevance of robotic surgical training is progressively increasing although it is not easy to define and validate standardized paths for surgeons that are approaching for the first time to robotic surgery. In this context, the European Association of Urology Robotic Urology Section (ERUS) made several efforts in order to develop and validate an educational program for surgeons starting their robotic career.
KeywordsRobotic surgery Robotic curriculum Training Robot-assisted radical prostatectomy
- 3.Yaxley JW, Coughlin GD, Chambers SK, et al. Robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy versus open radical retropubic prostatectomy: early outcomes from a randomised controlled phase 3 study. Lancet. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30592-X.
- 9.Thompson JE, Egger S, Bohm M, Haynes AM, Matthews J, Rasiah K, et al. Superior quality of life and improved surgical margins are achievable with robotic radical prostatectomy after a long learning curve: a prospective single—surgeon study of 1552 consecutive cases. Eur Urol. 2014;65:521–31.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Leow JJ, Chang SL, Meyer CP, et al. Robot-assisted versus open radical prostatectomy: a contemporary analysis of an all-payer discharge database. Eur Urol. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2016.01.044.
- 19.Sood A, Ghani KR, Ahlawat R, Modi P, Abaza R, Jeong W, et al. Application of the statistical process control method for prospective patient safety monitoring during the learning phase: robotic kidney transplantation with regional hypothermia (IDEAL Phase 2a-b). Eur Urol 2014 Aug;66(2):371–378. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.02.055. Epub 2014 Mar 4.
- 27.Cacciamani G, De Marco V, Siracusano S, et al. A new training model for robot-assisted urethrovesical anastomosis and posterior muscle-fascial reconstruction: the Verona training technique. J Robotic Surg. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11701-016-0626-4.
- 32.Flin R, Goeters K, Amalberti R, et al. The development of the NOTECHS system for evaluating pilots’ CRM skills. Hum Factors Aerospace Saf. 2003;3:95–117.Google Scholar